1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction problems, 2 1/2 ton Dump, 2WD, 10ft plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dennis/Ohio, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Dennis/Ohio

Dennis/Ohio Junior Member

hello,
    I'm a rookie but thought I'd post here since its a commercial truck.
    I can put 5 ton in dump bed and traction couldn't be better. Plow a commercial gravel drive with blade raised a couple of inches (no skids on plow). The problem is when I go back next day I can't get any traction at all. I'm thinking tire chains if I can get them on and off in a reasonable time frame?
    thanks for any input, Dennis........

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

A little confused here. You can put 5 tons in the back, or you have 5 tons in it? You should keep weight in there for traction. And if you plow is raised a little, there will be snow left behind which will turn to ice unless its salted afterwards. I think more info is needed. People on here like pictures too.

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

5ton in a 2 1/2ton truck. Veeeeeery interesting. :confused:

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Sounds like you need a urethane edge to scrape it down to gravel. I use to plow a gravel lot with my urethane edge with very little gravel buildup. Some happens but it's a fact of life. In the spring it means a little road maintance for the owners but a safer road all winter.

5. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

a couple dog chains would be quick, and it works imo

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Chains are unnecessary if the plowing id done right to begin with and proper tires and ballast are part of the equation. I learned to plow in my old Chevy dump (a 3503, which is a 14K gross) with 4 tons of sand and sander in the back for traction. Never used chains on commercial or residential, including gravel.

7. AllAmericanPlow

AllAmericanPlow Junior Member

sounds like you need to get a truck with a handy little system we around here call 4WD. how can you run a 10 ft plow with 2wd?

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

chains give the best traction you only have 2wd

9. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

Try locking your hubs... LOL... I have a ford F550 at times i put atleast 5 tons in it.

10. Dennis/Ohio

Dennis/Ohio Junior Member

Its a GMC C7000 (26.5K gvw). Rear tires are new recaps with small lugs. Bad tire choice. No spreader, I had 5 ton of gravel as ballast. I guess I couldn't believe the difference from fresh snow and next day snow. I have a new repect for you pros.
    Thanks, Dennis....

IM000520.jpg

IM000521.jpg

IM000522.jpg

11. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

nice old truck. 366 or 427? 5 speed with a rux? we've got an 86 chev pumper, with the 427, 5 speed and rux, great old truck, just none of the new guys seem to be able to handle it.... shifts nothing like thier honda's lol

maybe try some plow shoes, and get a set of chains. if your gonna do driveways with it, you'll need them sooner then later

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i think i saw that truck on craigslist

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do not apply salt to gravel drives.
    You will regret it later.

14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i would put some better meats on the rear those are highway treads. see if you can find some waste hauler lugs. what do you do in the summer with that truck if you are off the pavement at all the wast hauler lugs work great. dont know how they last milage wise we alway tore them up in the landfill long before they ever wore out.

15. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I run 2 with no problem what so ever. We around here call it proper ballast and decent tires. After I viewed your profile I noticed you were a newbie and still green at the age of 20, but you might want to get a few more posts before you start making comments like you did. you'll figure it out in time.........

16. PLOWMAN45

well i started when i was 16 and there was no help boards so here you either had 4 wheel drive or like city and state had sand salt and chains

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I run an 11ft plow with 2wd and it works fine. It's called knowing how to plow. Ballsast, tires and driver skill go a long way.

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Chains are unnecessary when ballast and proper tires.... Hmm, not only did I already say this but so have others after me....
    Chains, my good men, are for when you're stuck or certainly are going to be stuck.

Further north than Norwalk and chains are not normally on the city, state, or contractor trucks up here, 2 or 4wd.
    In 12+ years pushing, I only used chains for the first time LAST YEAR, and when I have time pre season to ballast properly, I plow in 2wd the vast majority of the season.

We're not here on this board to preach the virtues on chains, or no chains- good or poor tires, etc- we're here to educate one another and learn from one another, and have fun in the process.

If you feel you need chains for a 2wd, maybe you do, but plenty of us get along just fine without them.

19. PLOWMAN45

maybe you like to come to some of steep roads we have in the back country

20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

try tilting the box up a little to put more of the weight over the rear axel