1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

traction issues with 2014 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by coachglynn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 2014 F250 with the oem Michelin LTX AT2 18" tires. The truck is new to me with about 26k miles. I have an ext cab 6.5 bed with a fisher extreme v plow. I seem to have very little traction in the snow. My old truck would drive through anything. This one seems to slip and slide all over. Are these tires known to be bad in the snow? Does any one else have this problem?

I use 4 HI when plowing. My other question is: Should I be locking my front hubs or leaving them in the auto setting. The book seems to say either is fine but their directions are confusing.

Any help is appreciated. You guys are the best.

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

2015 version with the same truck, tires and plow. The tires sucked new. I am sure after 26k they are worse. I put Cooper M&S studded on and it's a beast in the snow now. Leave the hubs in auto. You only switch them if your auto locking quits and you can manually lock them in.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

those michelins are almost as bad as the continentals.

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

coach make sure you are running ballast

5. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I suspected the tire were crap, but wasn't sure. I haven't been running ballast but I plan on trying that as well.

How much do you guys use?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have no idea why manufacturers put those tires on trucks that are going to any destination that might receive snow.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Put a 2 x 12 in the vertical slots behind the wheel wells and throw a bunch of tube sand between the 2 x 12 and tailgate.

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I put 800 lbs of tube sand in to offset an 8.5' MVP with wings. Really helps with the traction. Carry 400lbs in my other truck that I don't have the plow on.

9. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

the fisher e match system will tell you exactly what to put in for ballast, it will probably tell you to use 400-800 pounds

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our new 2016 came with BFGoodrich somethings and they do ok with about 800lbs in the bed. I leave my hubs locked in pretty much all winter. If your looking at new tires, look at the Cooper Discovery AT 3's...best tire Ive run so far on our other trucks.

11. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have a 2015 F350, regular cab long bed with a Western MVP3 on it. I had the same tires you have, brand new Michelin LTX AT2 tires on it last winter. The guy who was driving it said it was terrible, slid all over the place, struggled to push piles back as we got more snow. I drove it one time last winter to plow a driveway and could not believe how little traction the truck had compared to my others.

This winter I put new Cooper Discoverer AT/3s on it and a 750 pound plate of steel in the bed. The truck is a tank now. All trucks need some modification have to get excellent traction in the snow. It's all about tires and ballast.

I run 2 sets of wheels and tires for all my trucks, one for summer towing and one for winter plowing. I also have the same plates in every truck bed. Money well spent.

12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Just got rid of the factory AT 2s on my F 350 with 38K on them and got Cooper AT 3s , day and night difference . Not just traction but ride is way better with Cooper , the michilens were like marshmellows . Crazy the tire guys are telling me the Michilens are the most expensive , I could have used my spare and got 3 new Mich for almost the same as 4 new Coopers ( $ 220 ea with bal and disposal).

13. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I always turn off the traction control , if not the truck does stupid things on its own .

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

On my truck once. 4x4 is in tcs is auto turned off

15. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck must be a higher up model than my XL .

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the cooper AT-3's is the only way to go.

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Got 58K without rotation, they junk, I am surprised that kept them as long as I did

Mine are the 20in with that stupid shoulder blocking

IMG_20160129_160125164.jpg

IMG_20160129_160110898.jpg

IMG_20160129_162330647.jpg

IMG_20160130_161502230.jpg

IMG_20160130_161622603.jpg

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What brand do you have?

The problem with my TC is that not only does it apply the brake to the spinning wheel it also defuels the engine.

Because we all know that makes complete sense in plowing and offroading.

Again, I don't need or want a computer making decisions for me when I am driving. Stupid engineers.

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

2016 xlt 550 dump
    Basic work truck

20. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Turn off advanced trac. If you have a ford you hold the traction control button after it is off until it lets you know advanced trac is off.

There is still a torque limiter between gear 1 and 2 but that can be bypassed by manual mode.

Also, if you shift to 4x4 low traction control and advanced trac are automatically turned off.