1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction issues & plow riding up on the snow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sagent, Apr 10, 2013.

1. sagent

sagent Junior Member

So I have at my cabin, a length of road that runs along the lake about 12-14 feet wide by 500-600 feet long. Every time we get a strong west / northwest wind, the road gets blown in with drifting snow. It took me 3 hours of punching through this crap to get all the way through. Every 3rd or 4th punch the plow would ride up on the snow and the front tires would lose traction. I had to have someone behind me to pull me out as I pushed foot by foot. I had 1000 lbs of sand in the back. Unfortunatly it is lake on one side of the road and swamp on the other so your only option is to push straight through. Am I asking too much from the truck / plow ? The tires have about 38k right now so I know thats not helping matters. Do they make chains that will not scratch up aluminum wheels ? I have only been plowing for 3 seasons and this is the only other thing I plow other than my driveway.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

With that amount of snow no wonder you are having issues. Maybe try to find a cheap tractor with a blower. Other than that get a set of snow tires and chains and hope for a little luck
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

That looks like blower material to me....or, y'know, this.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would say screw it and go fishing in the spring!!!
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think your traction and plow riding up on the snow problem is directly related to the snow piles being as tall as the truck is all the way along the driveway. A truck and a plow can only do so much, once you've gotten past what they can do a blower is your only hope.

An older tractor with a rear mount 3pt blower is probably the cheapest option.
    You might get lucky and pick up an old municipal truck outfitted with a second engine and a blower on the front if your lucky.
    A skid steer with a blower on the front will probably be the most expensive but also has a ton of other uses.
  6. sagent

sagent Junior Member

I figured you can only do so much in a confined space like this with a pickup truck. A parking lot or paved driveway is a lot different. After giving a good push with the truck the pile in front of the plow would get about 8 feet tall. We got about 8 inches of snow and once the storm blew thru and the wind switched direction, every flake of it went from the ice on the lake to that section of road. Happens every year but wind was blowing 30+ mph so was bad this time.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Holy cow, look at that snow. Try to keep up with the storm a little more?
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd imagine the situation is similar for him, but around here sometimes there's nothing you can do. We'll get 6" of snow but with so much open land the 6" of snow from one spot becomes 3' of snow in another. It drifts across everything until it's level. Rural roads between the farm fields here can be plowed and then be drifted 8" inches deep within a few minutes. I've plowed my way down roads just to get to farms, sometimes a field or the ditch might be a better route.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My Boss V plow does that But My western V plow doesn't I think its the pitch of the plow makes it do that.
    My Boss does it in wet 8-12 '' snow mostly in scoop mode But never seen it in V mode
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
  11. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

this is what you need