1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction issues 2012 GMC2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Zigracer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

I'm a bit stumped here: Last Spring, I traded my 2010 Silverado 1500 on a 2012 Sierra 2500. The 1500 was a pretty good plow truck for the residential drives I do. I transferred the Meyer 7.5 STP onto the 2500 as the dimensions of the trucks are the same and it cost me less$$ than buying a new plow. I had Timbrens on the 1500.

So this year, I seem to be at a loss for traction in the 2500 HD. I've got about 600lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed. I'm slipping and sliding all over the place (I have some steep driveways to plow). The OEM tires on the 1500 were a little more aggressive than on the new truck, but the new truck had the plow prep package and the tires didn't look bad. The 2500 has that GMC lifted rear end thing going on. Could that be putting the balance of the truck too far forward?. Should I level out the front?

I bought some chains, and used them for the first time tonight. They were working great, but I threw both of them somewhere. Even with the chains, though, I still seem to be at a loss of traction.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If your 1500 had Locking rear end and this new dont have that will be big change in the traction
    If this new truck has lower gears will make more torque and will break traction

My dually has high gears gets around really well but I have another truck has low gears and it breaks traction easy and slips and slides around
  3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

A 2500 can handle twice the ballast and any stock tires aren't going to be great for plowing. Start by doubling the ballast, tires next.
  4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Your lucky...First time I threw a chain, it wrapped around the axle and took out the break line:realmad:
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Plow prep has nothing to do with tires
  6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

600 lbs ballast should be plenty of weight in the back. Your tires are your problem, buy some aggresive tread snow tires.
  7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

You need an aggressive tread Winter rated tire. The other problem may be tire pressure. I know guys that carry 80 lbs of air in 10 plys. I think that's too much if you aren't maxing out the GVWR of the truck. I have 600 to 800 lbs of weight against the tail gate of my old truck and usually carry 55 lbs of air pressure. That gives a bigger contact area where the tire sits on the road.
  8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

As other stated the stock tires suck for traction, a true snow tire is the only way to go. Lowering air pressure within reason will help as well as ballast. I either carry 1k lbs of bagged salt with the hitch salter or i carry my stainless in bed sander for ballast and this seems to be just right. Having the snow plow prep package would be a plus for the larger alternator and the G-80 locker which also makes a huge difference in traction.
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Another vote for reduced pressure for snow. I'm a fan of increased pressure (often up to the maximum rating of the tire) for almost everything else, but for deep snow you should back your pressure off to the specification on the door jamb label (or see a load-inflation chart if you have gotten on a truck scale as currently equipped) (also, if you're overloaded then you'll need more than specified).
  10. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Thanks folks! I added another 200 lbs of ballast and it helped immensely. My truck does have a locking diff. The tube sand bags I had for ballast had shifted to the front of the bed. I've never had that happen. I'm going to make a bed insert frame to keep them where I need them. The chains I lost were light duty z-chains. I got away with those several trucks ago. I ordered 5/18 chains yesterday. I will try the tire pressure trick, but I'll hold off on the tires, as I need good fuel economy more often.

My main traction issue is that one of my accounts is a driveway that would make mountain goats weary. The chains helped when they were on, so I think that the added ballast and chains when I need them will do the trick.
  11. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

If you have the factory goodyear wranglers, then its the tires. My 2011 2500HD plow prep Z71 has the goodyear wranglers and they suck in anything but dry weather.
  12. seeyaa

seeyaa Junior Member

Definately tires.