1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction for snow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Nuttymopar, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I currently have a 92 Club Cab with a Blizzard 810 Power Plow on the front with a Cummins motor. Haven't plowed much with the plow but last year the few times I did, I got a lot of tire spin from the rear tires. I usually try to keep about 300 - 400 pounds of Granite Blocks between the fenderwells. I am running 235 x 85 x 16 Nokia Studded Snows for tires. Any ideas on what I could do to increase tire traction? I am thinking about making a Concrete Block that fits nicely between the fenderwells in the bed and have it be about 6 - 8 inches high. Not sure how much that would weigh though being 2' x 4' x 8". Any formulas on how much a 50 lb bag of cement weighs when dry and how much cubic size that 1 bag takes up. Just trying to figure how many bags I would need to fill that section and what overall weight would be? Maybe my Granite Block may way more but they slide around a bit, even if in a 2 x 4 sectioned off frame.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my tow truck driver put 2 concrete parking stop in the back for added weight

cardoctor

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

What about a large piece of flat steel.A 4X8X1/2" is pretty damn heavy.Itwon't move around,and it protects the bed floor.

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

a back plow is a useful weight 500+ #

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

2' x 4' x 8" concrete block will be 5.33 cubic feet and will weight right close to 800 lbs.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

2' x 4' x 8" concrete block will be 5.33 cubic feet and will weight right close to 800 lbs.

Something that works really well is to line the back of the truck with plastic film, put a 2x4 across the back, in front of the tailgate and actually pour a concrete floor in the truck. Take the 2 x 4 out afterwards, that leaves a little gap so you can close the gate. If you pour it the thickness of the lumber you get a 1 1/2" slab that makes nice ballast and con't move around at all. In the spring you smack it a few times with a BFH and it will crack up and you can remove it in pieces.

7. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

A buddy of mine use to do the same thing as Alan suggested. The only difference is he had loops in the block and used a backhoe to remove it. He put it back in every year. Without a backhoe maybe a chain fall to a old tree in the back yard. Just a suggestion.
    Mike

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Just a little puzzled, you say your getting too much spin from the rear wheels, what about the front? If your rears are spinning, then at least one of your fronts has to be to, and with the weight if the blizzard, and the diesel it's going to take a lot of snow or slippery conditions to get the truck to spin out. Just because the indicator light on the dash says 4x4 doesn't mean you have drive to the front wheels,the Dodge is prone to bending the hub locking unit shift fork, if you're not getting front wheel spin check the hub locking unit.

Bill

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When the plow is lowered, the weight is lifted from the front wheels. I had the same problem with my truck, I found if I raised the plow just a bit to put the weight back on the front, the truck pushed a lot better.

I just bought a 4 x 7 sheet of 1/2 plate, the dealer said it weighed right around 300 pounds. That would make a 4 x 8 sheet about 343 pounds.

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Your steel supplier should know better. 1/2" plate weighs in at 20.4 lbs/sf, so your 4 x 7 sheet =28 sf=571.2 lbs

11. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I have a Engine Hoist that I bought when I replaced my motor so in and out of truck is not a problem. Maybe moving it around during the Spring - Fall might be though, will need wheels or something, LOL. I have replaced new hubs in the front because they were the originals and needed it, hate that clicking sound. I don't plow much, just my dirt driveway so even a little spin doesn't allow me to push it where I would like to place it due to size of turning around and stuff. Plus my mother-in-laws place is slightly up hill from the get-go, no room for a run-on. I like the idea of just placing a Jersey Barrier in my back... LMAO. Can find them all over the place. Thanks for the weight of 2x4x8" and will probably go with that since the truck can take that weight without a problem and will ride nicer also.

12. long0

long0 Senior Member

One Cubic Yard of concrete weighs somewhere between 3800lbs & 4000lbs. With that being said
    2ft x 4ft x .66ft = 5.28 cubic feet / 27 (multiplier for cubic yards) = .195 cubic yards x 3900lbs = 760.5 lbs.

Another option that I have used in the past is to go to the lumber yards after a heavy rain. They will give you any bags of concrete that got wet. They are usually around 80lbs per so it might be easier to try and get 9 or 10 bags. They would be much easier to load and unload.

Andy

13. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i dont know how dodge truck beds are set up i have a 2000 chevy i can fit 2by 4 in the back going across the bed i fill 5 gallon buckets with sand each one ways roughly 50 pounds i ut 8 in the back thats 450 pounds easy in easy out:D

14. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

You want the traction?

You want the traction, go right to the source. Don't waste your time with concrete, plates or other weight add ons.

Get your self a set of chains, and use them. Get a set of bar reinforced for the front tires and the rear tires.

That will end your rear wheel spin - Guaranteed.

15. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys hes saying he gets alot of wheel spin, he might have an open differential in the rear axle so the tire with the least amount of traction will spin and thats the one pushing you. I would look into a detroit locker or something along that line. If you jack the rear of the truck up and spin the tires and they go the same way then you probably have a limited slip but if the go the opposite way then its open. Hope this helps. I know in my old chevy I hade a detroit locker in the back and I could go 4-wheelin in 2 wheel while everyone else was in 4 wheel drive.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

The only problem with a locker in the rear is it can be a nightmare when it's icy.With both wheels locked together,the rear of the truck tends to want to slide sideways alot,which can be dangerous on off camber slopes.If your used to it,and be careful,it will be OK.

17. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I do have the Open Diff in the rear. Takes me to do a good Brake Lock to get Posi out of this truck when leaving the line during the summer. But love those posi marks down the road.... LOL

When it blows.... locker of some sort will be placed instead of stock. maybe ARB or something, I will wait until that time to figure what would work best for me.

Thanks.

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There's something just not right with you MOPAR guys!:dizzy:

19. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I would use tube sand in the back. I use 15 bags at 70lbs a piece. It works great if you get stuck. I've opened more than one bag for traction.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yup :D