1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction Control 2015 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Feb 11, 2016.

1. There's been some discussion in the "service traction control" thread below about whether or not TC should be disabled when plowing. I'm starting this thread just to discuss this issue. Can someone explain just what TC does and why it should be turned off when plowing? Thanks.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't own a GM, but basically traction control is a "feature" designed by some DA that sits behind a desk and thought it would be a great idea to dumb down drivers further and also that computers know better than people. So traction control basically senses when a tyre has lost traction or is spinning faster than the other tyres,or apparently senses the steering wheel position (never heard that before) in relation to speed\tyre spin, and does a couple things:
    1) Applies the brake to the spinning wheel
    2) Defuels\reduces engine power so you can overcome the reduced traction.

Both of which can really screw up someone who uses their truck for work or off road play. Especially while plowing snow, because sometimes you need the extra power and spin to prevent becoming stuck. Same with off-roading.

For me, I can guarantee I know far more than a computer that has no ability to plow snow to control the go pedal when I need more or less power. I even know better when going up the road in slippery conditions.

It's the same as all these other stupid gadgets--collision avoidance, lane departure, blind spot monitoring, even ABS--all creating dumber drivers that can pay less attention to driving. But they're still stupid enough to engage cruise control in slippery conditions which is what causes an enormous amount of accidents.

But they can't put a heated windshield on a work truck. Or at least a heated parking area for wipers to reduce ice buildup by the cowl. Or figure out how to heat blind spot mirrors in addition to the normal mirrors.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I turn mine (2011 F350) off in everyday driving. As an example why, if, during the winter, I'm turning off a main road that a plow just cleared and want to get thru the snow berm, I give it some gas and expect to spin and slide a little bit as I do it. The TC retards the throttle as well as hits the brakes, so as I'm pressing the throttle, the truck basically slows right down in the middle of the berm.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Put more simply, you turn it off because it allows you to spin the tires when needed, like pushing back piles and stacking, or when trying to get unstuck.

5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You can turn it down but can't turn it completely off , there is still some crap going on at least on a Ford there is . If your foot isn't better than some lagging computer out in the snow you have no right to be out plowing , get back on the porch .

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Besides turning off the TC also turn off the stability control if equipped.
    I found oot how effective is was while loosing lateral traction in a corner, instinct was to turn into the slide but the pickup "knew better" :rolleyes: yeah right.

7. Mark Oomkes

I wonder if any of the tuner companies have written software to shut it off completely.

8. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

So True - so lame by GM

also - TC off will only allow wheel spin to a certain speed - depending on year & model ...

9. Mark Oomkes

Furd and Dodge aren't any better in that regard.

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking aboot one of these the other night, why the F is the blind spot mirror noot heated?

11. Mark Oomkes

Question of the millenium.

12. I didn't ask about TC on Fords or Dodges or heated mirrors or heated wipers or heated windshields.....just sayin...

13. Mark Oomkes

Roger, I'll make a note to never comment on your threads again. My apologies.

Never mind all 3 truck brands have traction control that affects all of us. Never mind they give us crap features that we don't need or want while ignoring valid concerns.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U just saying.....

Well buckaroo, were just sayin to....

I have both heated mirrors (upper and lower) on mine as well as heated and AC seats on both side with heat only on backseat (which I removed the seat all together).

The TC can be removed with the proper tuning.

15. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Dont you know you just get to start the thread ? The beauty of this place is you never know what kind of life it may have . And if your a veteran of 38 years of plowing your way too old to use " Just sayin " and way way too to drop the G . Just saying .

16. Not quite sure that's the "beauty" of this place...but to each his own.

17. Mark Oomkes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Did someone say heated windshields?!?

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wiper blades.

20. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

If you hold down the tc button for 5 seconds it will shut the tc off and a light will pop up on the dash, if you hold it down for another 5 seconds, another light will pop on and you just enabled fsu mode, (f*ck sh*t up) mode.