1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris doherty, Mar 14, 2003.

1. chris doherty

chris doherty Junior Member

ever seen pitures of tracks on pickups if so tell me if they are any good .if they are i mite buy some

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

here ya go.

www.mattracks.com

keep in mind, thier about $25k

if you dont mind me asking, what do you need them for?

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I have actually seen them in use by power companies up along the Saint Lawerence Seaway. They are extremely well built and light and are an excellent attachment to the Kawaski Mule or Deere Gator. They get stuck in snow when the snow is as deep as the tracks(actually the machines bottom out on the snow--kinda like a boat in water) but I don't think you can stop them in mud. But if you got to get to a remote cell phone site these are certainly cheaper than a SnoCat or high floatation bulldozer. The Mules that I saw had cabs for four people and a little flatbed for aircompressor/generator/welder and tools. Couldn't plow snow with it. Too slow

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

are those legal on public roads . I guess they would have to be DOT approved

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've seen several pickups around here set up with the tracks similar to the Mattracks Paul posted a link to. Haven't seen them in action, though, just on the truck and for sale. For plowing, I think it would be good. But I don't think they'd do well on the highway or street going to the next site. If you've ever ridden in a tank, this would be similar except for turning. You'd want to avoid any sharp turns:mad: . The expression "threw a track" comes to mind.

6. snowflake

snowflake Member

was watchin the trucks show on tnn a couple of yrs ago they did a show about them tracks set-up when throght the mud good and drove it right down the road only good for a bout 45mph only.
    cannt remember you made them or what kindof money;s they wanted for them.
    looked pretty slick set up and not to hard to install either.
    i think they would be a good set up for a plow truck where you get a lot of snow
    :drinkup:

7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I talked to some people at Mattracks this past fall at the Duck Unlimited Great Outdoors Festival. They said that they prefer to only sell them to police, fire dept., EMS services, state and federal agencies and also company's that operate in extreme conditions like oil company's, ski resorts, electric company's and etc. Rather than common people like you and I. They had tons of pictures of the tracks mounted on every thing from Yamaha Grizzlys and Polaris Sportsman to S-10's and Jeep CJ-5's up to F-550's with drilling rigs and bucket platforms. They also had a couple pics of them mounted on a Cadillac Escalde in the middle of the dessert that was owned by either the king or prince over in Jordan.

They had a set there on a Polaris Sportsman and also on a F-350. They are very impressive and looked like they would be tons of fun to play in the mud and snow with. All that they do is bolt to the truck hubs and then they have support bars that run back to the frame to keep the tracks from flipping over, but still allow them to flex back and forth a little to allow for terrain.