1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tracks vs tires for hills and grass

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sawfish99, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sawfish99

sawfish99 Junior Member

I am moving into a new house and will need a snowblower for the winter. The drive is a little hilly - enough that it will be difficult trying to drive it with ice on the asphalt. I am getting a blower, because I will also need to clear a path from the house to the horse barn, which includes a hill on grass. I may occasionally also clear a long gravel drive out the back of the back of the property.

I had a plow last year, but sold the plow and truck it was on (and we lived at a different house).

I am planning to get a 28-32" blower, depending on pricing, but my main concern is about the traction, in particular over the hill to the barn. Any recommendations for tracks vs tires with chains based on the situation?

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Tracks work very well but will severely diminish the amount of snowblowers you have to chose from. Your better option would be to focus on buying a qaulity machine that will last you for years and not leave you stranded in a storm. Many great machines come with wheels, and tire chains will give you plenty of traction.