1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trackless Rear Wiper Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tahoe Workz, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hey Gang-

Just chiming in cause I have to vent to someone- thanks for listening. We are running Trackless MT5s. All in all, they are great machines and do their job well. I have had minor issues here and there as any equipment would. This last one is bugging me...

My rear wiper was slipping and making a grinding noise when in operation. So we looked at it and noticed it was coming from the motor. We pulled the cover plate off and noticed that there are two gears controlling the oscillation of the wiper. One coming from the motor itself and that was a metal gear. That married up to a plastic gear that runs the wiper arm.

First off, why plastic? Why metal to plastic? Can anyone guess which gear was flat spotted? Now if you guessed the plastic one, it must have been because you attended and graduated from rocket science school, right?

Anyways, I'm most upset because the wiper manufacturer doesn't sell a replacement plastic gear. Even though I was easily able to take it apart and pull it out. Now they want me to purchase an entire new motor. What a waste of the environment. The motor is fine. All metal parts are fine. A $.50 plastic gear is all I need.

When are we going to lose the mentality of replacing perfectly working parts instead of fixing the broken link? I know they make more money to replace the entire unit but ultimately at what cost?

Sell a replacement gear !!!!

Venting over for now....
  2. The gear in question:

3. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

That looks just like a 48 pitch RC gear.
    how many teeth ?
    What size hole in the middle ?
  4. I'll count but it will take a little while. The gear has the center hole and then other holes randomly drilled along the sides and are stamped with numbers. The wiper arm was inserted into one of the holes. I believe is was marked 80. I will post a better pic and a count of the teeth along with hole size. I'm also trying to locate the manufacturer or model number. Thanks for the help..!
  5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

A number of years ago I ran into the same problem with the
    wipers on our jd 755 compact tractor with a Cozy Cab.
    I was fortunately able to find the actual manufacture of the wiper ass.
    and buy new gears for a few dollars.
    A little epoxy and a triangular file?
    These folks migh be able to help too.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. Thanks Keith.

I am already in contact with Trackless trying to get the actual manufacturer of the wiper. Thought it would be an easy answer but so far I have not gotten one. Maybe they are trying to track down the gear themselves. Sure hope so. It's not the money that bothers me about this. It's the fact that a perfectly working unit- motor plus all that metal casing, etc has to be replaced because of a $0.50 plastic gear. That's not green thinking. A plastic gear that marries up to a metal gear at that. That should tell you right off the bat where the weak link is and being the manufacturer of a product with a weak link, you'd think they would need to stock many of these gears.

I assume the plastic gear is there to break first in the case the wiper arm gets hung up or stuck. But once again, if that is the design, then you better sell more of these gears. I'd rather see a tiny shear pin in there and a regular metal gear instead. Back to the drawing board please...

Meanwhile, we'll do the best we can without a rear wiper.
  7. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Any chance a gifted individual with machine shop experience could make one of those gears?
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Did you try matching the gear to a metal one? Have you lost interest in the New Holland Bi-directional tractors? How much snow have you been getting this winter? Do you ever get over to kings Beach?
  9. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Check around and see if a machine shop can make you a metal one, that way it will last longer! But it might not be cheap.
    I had that problem with the pump gears in an old western plow pump, the gear shaft broke inside the pump and they wanted big bucks for the complete pump and would not sell just the shaft with a gear on it. Took the piece to a machine shop and they made the piece for 1/3 the price of the pump and worked flawles.
  10. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Kinda sounds like what I was suggesting. My neighbor works in a machine shop and I've always got him making something for me.

11. I think that would be a good answer to replace this with a metal gear. I'll look into that in case Trackless doesn't come through. I do feel the plastic choice may have been made as a weak point or almost like a shear bolt in case the wiper arm hangs up. I guess they feel the gear will strip instead of locking up the motor. But if that's their design, they need to sell that part. That's like not installing a shear bolt option on the blower at all. Hit something in the blower, oh well, buy a new blower. To replace the fully functional motor and all that metal casing for a $.50 plastic gear is such a waste of the environment. I just can't feel good about doing that. It's not the money, it's the waste of it all. That's not right. You know they have a pile of these in their factory as they are assembling new setups that they want to sell me again now. I'm also trying to be put in contact with the manufacturer. I have a few comments for them to pass along.

I am still very interested in the New Holland. This was a tough season to think about expanding here in Tahoe, though. Not much of a winter this year. We must be well below 50% snow pack. That's making it tough to gather more accounts. We still may have a big ending- we've had March's that don't stop. But so far, we've only been out a handful of times. And Kings Beach is right around the corner here. I drive through on my way to Alpine ski area almost daily. I don't service that area for snow removal because that goes into California and we're on the Nevada side in Incline Village.
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

My sister lives in Kings Beach, as well I've been through Incline Village. Maybe you've stopped at her store, Tahoe Mountain Sports? (in Kings Beach)
  13. Ha- Sure have been in there. I've been in contact with Tahoe Mountain Sports cause they have a sweet webcam feature on their site where you can view and control the cam. I contacted them since I was trying to put that same type of device in one of my clients' upper elevation home so I could see when the snow hits up high. Still have not worked that out so far...