1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trackless MT3

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CRSHOT, Nov 25, 2012.

1. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

just bought a Trackless Mt3 can anyone tell me common problems with these things, and are rims/compatible with gm /ford/ dodge?
    it also has a Bombadier snowblower on it , anything to watch out for?

2. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Hi, Got any pictures so i can get a better feel for the model you have? Some of the older ones match up to gm 3/4 1 ton rims.

3. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

pics

will have pics in a few days picking it up tomorrow or wednesday. Im pretty sure its five lugs though

4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

if its 5 gm rims wont fit. Its got to be new ish...

5. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Older ford rims fit the Mt-3 i had. Replaced hyd. oil cooler and waterpump but was a strong reliable machine.

6. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

thanks

Thanks for the info guys, Just discovered that I can't put a salt spreader on the MT3 as the frame and the hydraulics wont handle it. Oh well guess Ill have to buy a newer model after this MT3 makes us some money

7. SHAWZER

Why do you think the hydraulics wont handle a salt spreader ?

8. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

Talked to the guys at trackless the mt3 only has a 2.5" center frame and the mt 4 and 5 have a 10"center frame and the salter would snap the frame , he also said the hydraulics don't have enough cooling to run a salter and the snowblower at the same time and not that it matters but they aren't plumbed for a salter either , if it wasnt for the frame I would just put a electric motor on the salter

9. SHAWZER

I had an older 8 foot western blade on my machine, after done plowing the lot I would hook onto a tow behind hyd. 1/2 yard salter plumbed into the 3rd lever. Worked good but I only used it for 15 minutes at a time on one lot. :drinkup:

10. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

Thanks for the input! But I need to run the blower and the salter at the same time going to go over this unit with a fine tooth comb and maybe sell it the spring and buy a mt4 or 5 next year

11. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

SnowEx makes a drop spreader that runs on electric.

12. SHAWZER

I was told to stay away from MT4 machines, different brand and style of pumps which they had lots of problems with.

13. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

Getting some great info guys thanks ,mike the guys from trackless basically said anything hanging off the back of a mt3 will snap the frame , they made mt4 andmt5 frames 7.5" thicker but thanks for the thought

14. CRSHOT

CRSHOT Junior Member

steel wheels vs shoes

on the MT3 that i bought it has a bombardier snow blower and the outside (skis or shoes) don't fit our application most of our walks are 48" and the skis are right at the 48-50" mark....so i am expecting digging in and tearing up turf. I am currently thinking about putting steel (big plow) wheels behind the blower. what r u thoughts?

BTW Just picked up the MT3 today and we are ripping it apart, ( no lights work) took apart the control box and boy all those wires look like spaghetti........gonna give it a full service and once over.

any idea on tires? it currently has turf tires