1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking W/ Magic???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ceaman, Dec 5, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I am wondering if anyone experiences tracking or staining problems when using Magic either as a liquid or treated salt. I am concerned because of the color of the product that it might track/stain carpets, tile, or laminate floor.

At what application rates are you appling to get the results you post?

2. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Contact University of Michigan Grounds Department or Grand Valley State College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Both colleges stopped using magic type products last year because of the smell and the tracking problems. Wait until the president of the campus walks on the sidewalk, gets it in his shoes, jumps in his luxury car, get it on his carpets and then turns the heater on by his feet and smells the smell. Just be careful and use test applications before you use anything. Your reputation is on the line.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You might want to check with your supplier. I understand there is a Magic Salt now without the smell.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Its impossible to lump any of the products together. Neither of those two universities were using Magic, I believe they were using the same compainies product that screwed their distributors and left them hanging, of which Eager Beaver was one. It was not Magic.

Salt tracks, salt stains, many of the products will, especially if overapplied. Look at any retail stores floors near the entrance this Christmas season and you'll realize its somewhat a cost of doing business.

Universities in no way compare in my mind to retail.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Everyone discusses proper application rates.... What is the proper application rate that doesnt track for magic?

I am concerned about staining and odor for residential and appartment complex use, as well as retail. As far as the college president geting in the car, I have to also worry about homes with light carpet or even my mothers lexus with white carpet....

(Dont ask me I didnt buy it)

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

proper rates also depends on the time of day and how fast you're looking to burn down your ice/snow. If you're applying at 2:00 am you have more time than at 7:00 am or 3:00 pm in the afternoon.

For parking lots I was figuring 50 lbs per 10,000 sq ft. On sidewalks that number isn't working. It's about half that - or even less if you hand spread it. I don't know for sure, but at this point I'm theorizing that in a busy parking lot, the traffic moves the de-icer around and makes it more effective. On a sidewalk you use more product per sq ft since you dont' get the same effect from traffic.

We try to reduce the amount of product we use as we get closer to doors to avoid any tracking - and we figure we'll get the benefit of tracking from the heavier into the lighter applied areas as people move to the building.

Too early to tell yet what the results are. But I keep a bucket of it at home, my mom's and my office so we can test the results. If my mom complains - I'll have to do something different!

7. PINEISLAND1

Application rates just dont tell the story. Obviously rates vary from one storm to another, as was mentioned.

The time of day, temps (both air and pavement), deice or anti ice situation, snowfall amount and rate, sunny or shady, not to mention "ice storm" conditions,..... just way too many variables to even mention one rate, like they try to on the bags.

It comes down to common sense and experience. On average any coated deicer takes less than straight rock salt.

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

There has to be a maximum rate before it tracks... I am not asking for how much it takes to melt the snow or ice... How much magic can you put down before it causes problems

If you want a scenario

Ground Temp 20F
    Air Temp 18F
    Humidity 45%
    1" of snow down 1" more coming.
    7 am

9. PINEISLAND1

I have never had a complaint of tracking, in two seasons of using magic, so I guess I cannot really anser the question your asking personally. Maybe someone else has had the problem.

10. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Magic will not atin its impossible as it is water soluble.Tracking is usually only an issue when too much is applied to an area.Magic will not track any worse than other products out there today

11. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Unless you spray puddles of the stuff on the walks outside a store I can't realy see having a tracking problem. Just think of the tracking you get from slush at an entrance, the dirty water is going to track inside no matter what. How can you distinguish magic from dirty water, it all cleans up the same! I've never had a problem or complaint using treated salt. It's the best pre-treater i've used.
    Casey

BTW I like the way Magic smells....it reminds me to stop at McDonalds in the morning. It almost smells like syrup... alright more like molases, but when I've been out salting all night it starts to smell like food.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ive been using Magic salt for three years now at the Hospital I work for. I have not had any tracking problems, nor any complaints about smell.

If you over apply any de-icer you may get tracking. I know Calcium chloride tracks a white residue like crazy. Real pain to clean up.

If Magic does track into tile floors just use plain warm or hot water to mop it up.

13. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Thank you for the help.

14. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Can you eat it? I could see me eating it for some reason...??
    hehe.

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

LOL, I cant imagine it would taste verry good or thay would have left it in the beer.... :drinkup: Could alway try a salt/magic mix on the dinner table & see how well it goes over with the in-laws.... ;)

As long as it's not way over applied & moped up before it dries for to long I cant see you haveing much of a problem... Stores will usually mop the entrance to pick up the water numerous times thru the day. AS far as getting it on your mothers white Lexus she sould stay home. Slush water containing a years worth of dirt, oil, gas & whatever else thats in the parking lot cant be much better.

John, when you say "water soluble" do you meen 100%, even after it dries? As we all know know some products (not ice control related) claim thay are but after it dries up it's almost impossible.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For what it's worth - I was applying Magic the other day, also opening and moving barrels of the stuff. Anyway, got it all over my hands and wrists. After several hours I washed it off. Came right off - much quicker and easier than dirt. Just put my hands under the faucet and it all washed right off with no soap.

17. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Pineisland,
    I apologize about commenting about Grand Valley University using Magic. The product I was referring to was straight liquid not magic coated salt and you are correct on two other points that it was a magic type byproduct however I was told it was Magic by the past President at the time I was talking to him, and yes I was screwed bigtime as you and I have discussed.

My point was that test all products under all conditions before you put yourself and your companys reputation on the line. I know Tom at Pineisland has a lot of experience with liquids and is a good contact for Magic as he is now handeling it here in Michigan.

Some products do track as I have seen it and they do have a horific smell like a barnyard. Yes they may cleanup easily however tell that to someone that has light colored carpeting also does not smell like anything I would want to eat. ;)

18. PINEISLAND1

Its funny, the magic really does smell good enough to eat. It is a very sweet, molasses type smell, not offensive at all. I used it on the bait pile in the UP and the deer even loved it !

19. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I was told this is full of magic:
    Of cource the highway dept. could just be throwing one heck of a party???

mvc-008f.jpg

20. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

hahaha....:drinkup: