1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tracking the work crews do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman55, Jan 4, 2008.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

any tips on tracking work performed by crews? 1 have 15 trucks, 5 skids, and 20 shovelers out each event and am having trouble tracking it all. each truck has a "plow book in it with a log sheet guys are supposed to fill out. problem is we charge different ways for different accts ; monthly, per inch, hourly for trucks, hourly for skids, hourly for shoveling, # of ice melt applied and tons of road salt applied.So one stop could include a 2" plowing, 1 hr shoveling, 40# icemelt applied, 1 ton road salt, 1 hr bobcat stacking piles. And I'll get paperwork back from guys with just site name on it and "done" written down. we have weekly training meeting and this is brought up every time.do I need to quit plowing myself and just answer the phone from these guys after each site to ensure I am capturing all work done? any tips would be appreciated
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I make them fill in time in, time out, # of inches, what equipment and how much ice melt
    You can bill anything from that (and it's a nice record of when you were there)

Before they go home at the end of the day/storm/morning/whatever, i collect their snow sheets. If they aren't correct or I have questions, they can fix them then. (while still fresh in their memory)
    I'd give your "done" people a nice training session and then basically put your foot down. "if you don't fill this out, we don't get paid. If we don't get paid, you don't get paid. do it right or be gone"
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

that or hire someone to answer the phone for you. you could give them a detailed manifest to fill out and tell them to be paid you must fill out completely. my parents had a messenger service with 25 drivers and they had to enforce this rule until it sunk into there empoloyeees heads. but if they want the paycheck enough they will take the 3 mins to fill it out right.:salute:
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

What Iceyman said is a rather thorough reply (not to take away from Cowboy's reply).
    He mentioned the detailed manifest. This means that you have to make sure your forms are made to make it as easy for them as possible (not all these guys are rocket scientists). Have all the categories down on the sheet(s) so they do as little writing as possible. It is all already there, they just have to write in short replies.....maybe even just check boxes if necessary. Also, the accountability is VERY important. The idea of them not getting credit for the work (getting paid) unless it is all complete is the right idea. They learn to get into the habit right quick. You just use the reasoning. "I can't pay YOU if I can't get paid for the job!"
    as far as the different ways of billing (hourly, to "by the job", to material applied), that has to be done within your accounting program or your administrative assistant.
  6. snowman55

used to be i could check it all myself now its just to big.crews run 18 hrs and switch out i have equipment out for 72 hrs straight each event. i think you're right runner i need to simplify the paperwork but that still doesn't guarantee they will fill it out. If this is an issue for more than myself I thought maybe hiring a 2 people to man a call center 24 hrs during an event have crews call in after each site and having other guys use it as well to split the cost anyone interested?
  7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

stroker is on the right idea...except tele track is too exspensive. I use FFM from Verizon wireless. If you know what you bill for each site...they system will tell you when your guys show up and when they leave. Then they can fill out forms on their phones within the system for tons of salt or bags what ever you want. if you know who is in a crew...youa re good to go on billing.

8. snowman55

looking into xora with sprint but am still concerned with getting all services input if they leave out 40# icemelt applied i'm out $80
  9. stroker79

I used to work for teletrac and it was a great system. The prices range from from $70 - $100 per month per installed vehicle depending on options and usage data. Not sure what verizon or others charge. The system can tell you if the PTO has been tuned on, doors have been opened or closed, ignition on, tailgate open/closed and so on.
  10. snowman55

but can the crew input data as far as what was done on the site? some sites get billed as follows 2' full plow=$250, 1 hr shoveling $70, 40# icemelt applied $80,40# icemelt put in bins $40, 1 ton salt on lot $135, 1 hour stacking snow with skid $75. just knowing how long on site wont give me this info. if just 1 item isn't isn't accounted for I'm working for free.
  11. stroker79

yup there is also 2 way messeging capability. You can have custom menus setup so all they have to do is make very little input and everything is data logged, time stamped, and located. That way if your customer says you were never there you can show them your report which you can see on the map where your crew was and how long.
  12. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

give each account a number and give your guys a sheet with the accounts and number on them. have them fill in time in - out and what services performed and what material used only takes a couple seconds. be like getting a break for them. if they dont do it then tell them there will be a deduction of some kind in pay if they dont. my guys griped at first but it helped us alot. more paperwork but atleast its written by the guy who was there not some computer recording or a phone rep. my billing went from crazy week to an easy half day.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Runners idea is the best. We have sheets made up where you just check things off and enter in and out times for sidewalks and parking lots. We also use these sheets for site checks when nothing is done. We have binders for each account and if we ever have an insurance or billing issue we know where to look. I don't plow anymore, I just salt and this allows me more time to keep track of what everybodies doing.
  14. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I would make a work sheet for each location that is worked on, this sheet would have the information that is used for the billing, you may have a different work sheet for each location . Put the driver of the truck in charge of filling out the sheet, this way your training meetings will be smaller. Sheets must be filled out before leaving job. Tell the drives that work sheets may be picked up any time while they are out. Stop plowing, run the route and pick up work sheets and go back and check the jobs and see what is done. Giving the drivers a financial incentive to do the work sheets, this may be good or bad. :drinkup::drinkup:
  15. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

you need to make a spreadsheet to track all of this

I just made a spred sheet for you but you cant post excel sheet here

could you post an email adress or send it to me Via PM once you are able to
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

tell your crew that they all make minimum wage now while plowing. when they turn in their completed sheets they get the rest of their pay. you need to grind it into their heads that you need all the info filled out on each place plowed so you can bill accordingly (sp). otherwise there is no money to pay them.
  17. stroker79

yeah the company i work for, if you dont fill out the paperwork then they cannot get paid so in turn i cant get paid. pretty simple and extreamly effective and fair.
  18. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

anyone have a copy of these manifest papers they could email me or something? Seems like a really good idea and is much better then having my guys write what was done in a notebook
  19. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

I have a spread sheet that i made up for this in excel, cant post it here so if you post an email i will send it to you