1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking plow movement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LON, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LON

LON Senior Member

Have a customer who needs to track plow movement utilizing Verizon GPS. Is there way to do this currently? Plow is a Fisher X-treme vee and I know it can fire a signal off the solenoid. The boro who wants this is doing it so they know when a plow has been on a street through a Verizon GPS tracker.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. LON

LON Senior Member

There is supposedly a device out there that every time the solenoid is activated it sends a signal to a Verizon GPS tracker. This tracker will then send a signal back to head of the street department's computer so that street plowing can be time tracked. They get people calling and saying their street hasn't been plowed and this way they can say that at __:__ the street had plowing done.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

OK ,street plowing ,thought it would be funny for plowing a parking lot.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just get gps on the trucks? Live tracking?

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Does the plow get moved (turned, dropped, or lifted) on every street? I would think that there would be streets that would maybe show no movement on the plow itself? I think a GPS location on the truck should be enough and you might explain to them there may be no plow movement on some streets.

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think its a good idea to go off the solenoid for this. Typically you drop the plow (activate) then plow the street and raise the plow (activate). There is no activation while plowing. That thing would be sending a signal everytime I stopped and dropped the blade to get gas, coffee, eat or just adjusted the blade driving down the street with blade in the air.

8. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

We have GPS installed in all of our locomotives and most if not all of our road vehicles. units are 12V and about size of deck of cards. full playback. One system reports through Verizon and the other thru AT&T