1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracked Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snowman79, Oct 5, 2008.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

I was wondering how well a tracked skid does with pushing snow? The reason im asking is that it would be nice to have a tracked skid during the spring/summer/fall and still be able to use it in the winter so it would be used year round. We need a tracked skid for landscaping jobs where soft and delicate conditions would warrant a tracked skid. Ive heard they dont do well in the snow but was wondering if any of you know from experience

2. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Do a search... There are a bunch of threads on this topic... I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but here's your answer:

CAT and ASV machines with tracks are great in the snow... Other brands, not so much... I own an ASV SR-80, and my previous machine was a CAT 257B...

My $.02

3. dirtmovr

dirtmovr Junior Member

I run a LT 190 NH tracked with a 10 ft pusher. It works well, just don't stop with a full box, you won't get it going again. I have ran a 277B CAT also, better ride quality, and maybe a little more traction is all I really notice between the two,

4. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

ok..we are seriously considering a tracked skiddy now. The primary use for it over the winter will be at our gated community that we plow...so itll be using a small snow bucket...i think a tracked machine would do fine as it wouldn't be used with a pusher. What do yall think? We are looking at a CASE 440CT or 445CT.

5. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I've used a Bobcat T300 with a 84" snow bucket when my loader went down. It was terrible for traction. Pushing was OK, turning not so much. It got the job done, but I certainly liked wheels better for pushing snow. My friend had a Cat 287 and said his 10' pusher was too much for it in heavy snow. He has a 297 now, so we'll see how that does this year.