1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracked skid steer question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by charlefoxtrtot, Dec 26, 2009.

1. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

I need to add another machine to my inventory. How do the tracked machines handle in the snow vs a regular skid steer with tires?

2. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Depends on what track you are running, but in my experience, wheeled machines do better in the snow than tracked machines. It is not impossible to plow with tracks, but it is a lot more slippery because of all the added contact area to the ground. I know guys do it around here and since the tracked machine is more productive in the summer, they are able to compensate for it in the winter. But if i had to choose, I would definitly be in a wheeled machine for snow.

3. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

I bought a new CAT 279C this year and it has been a great machine, you may want to consider studded tracks or something with some aggressive tracks when you get on ice they like to spin, cause they have too much surface area. with good traction or a lot without ice they are amazing will push piles up and climb the pile while doing so.

4. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

I have heard that the Cat/Asv tracks are good for snow but the Bobcat/Takeuchi/Case/etc tracks aren't.

5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Ditto what doubleedge said.:nod:

6. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

True, you can look into aftermarket tracks if need be.
    BTW DugHD, love the avatar!:drinkup: You use that for sidewalks??

7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes , its great for sidewalks! Visibility is low since you cant see over the plow. But we plow by feel. :D

8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Dont use tracks in the SNOW, if you are on a hill. year I had to rent a bobcat and all that they had was a tracked 300. I had to pull it up our hill and it went fine down as long as you didnt need to stop, I hooked the blower to it and used my s300 to plow, there were a few times that the tracked machine got stuck... if you are still looking for a tracked machine, buy a wheeled and at logeneering tracks, that is what I did to my bobcat and its a monster with the tracks on, just not inthe snow.

9. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

I have the ASV RC-50 and it's awesome in snow. Traction is great and the pushing power is awesome. As far as traction on ice, well, I can't think of anything that holds traction on ice, so....

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we run a Cat 277B tracked machine with a 12' daniels plow on the front of it, never have any problems.

11. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

wheeled over tracked def...

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever posted any pics of it here? I'd like to see the blade set-up. :drinkup:

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

tracks wear pretty fast on pavment, and can be some big $x,xxx.00 to replace each side. not to mention, it sure is not like changing a tire. IF you do and its kept outside, id highly recommend parking it on a few 2x12 to keep the ice from freezing it to the ground.

14. coral

coral Senior Member

i second that....the tracks suck on the snow

15. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Ah, that explains the rows of wheels on snowmobiles and the like.

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hahaha........

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Good point. :p

18. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

second parking on 2x4's. really sucks if you leave the equipment on the job, and it gets frozen to the lot.

as far as tracked v. wheeled......once a tracked skid steer slips, its done. good luck on getting it to bite again. back up and hit it again. wheeled will move 2x the pile of tracked before it breaks loose.

19. schmol

schmol Senior Member

It has been said already but, Bobcat, Deere, Takeuchi style ridgid frame CTL's are not too desirable as a snow removal unit. However a Cat MTL with the suspended undercarrige is a great machine for snow removal. I know from experiance as I have used both styles, not a blanket statement for all track machines like many others in this thread. Now if you are buying the machine exclusively for snow removal than yes a wheeled machine financially makes more sence. However if you will use it year round than a Cat will serve both summer and winter services equally well.

20. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Track machines *rule* for salt pile management, but the low ground PSI makes them crap on ice. Deep snow is not bad, but they're so heavy they tend to cut right down to the slick stuff.

You might consider these...

http://www.bridgestonerubbertrack.com/polar_tread.html