1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracked skid or tire skid steer for snow plowing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SalNazzaro, Sep 10, 2015.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I'm getting a skid steer for this winter to plow with and was curious to what everyone thinks. I'm leaning towards a tracked skid over a wheel machine. At work there's only one tire skid loader and I'm always teamed up so I can pull him out when he's stuck, the tracked skids don't get stuck but i was just curious to the pros and cons of a tracked skid for the snow

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Wheeled, I have 2 track 2 wheeled, the tracked machines aren't used in snow, they are backups, only use I've had for them in the winter is stacking. And they are only stacking if the loaders are busy or down, I use track to stack cause I can climb the pile.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Track machines suck in snow !

5. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I've searched and I've heard great things about tracks and bad things, from personal experience at work the only skid I have to pull out is the wheeled machine, but my boss said get a wheel machine over the tracks but I'm thinking about year round use as well

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Expensive to repair.

Suck in snow. Some machines are better then others.

The machines that do suck are marginal at best with polar tracks. Unless you HAVE a real need for one in the off season, go wheeled.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

8. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's what I was planning to get a set of polar tracks for it or a set of camso sd tracks, tracked would be much better for me in the off season that's why I was leaning towards a tracked machine

9. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

We run track and wheeled skids, off season work is more priority, so we make do with the tracks in the winter. So far they push pretty decent with c-lug tracks, but we also have a backhoe and/or a truck on the same lot.

10. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I want a tracked skid for the off season i like them a lot more than a wheeled loader, we have backhoes and rubber tire loaders on site for snow so it's not like everyone is solely deepending on my skid loader.

11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

We have the SD tracks on ours and have worked great all year long.. like everyone else, it's up to your needs? I like tracks better for stability and mud/flotation during the summer or in other words more weight distribution... for us the tracks push snow just fine...

12. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's why I love tracked machines, stability that's my biggest pro for tracks

13. Hysert

Just yesterday I loaded 13 foot jersey barriers into a triaxle. At 5000lbs machine felt fine

14. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Wow that's impressive, what size skid loader do you use?

15. Hysert

Kubota svl90

16. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ahh I've heard a lot of good things about them but they're out of my price range!

17. Hysert

Im vary kubota bias tho.. owned 6 kubota over the yrs and they have been vary reliable... I got the svl used, it's still original u/c at 1700hrs...

18. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Nice to know on the UC....just bought a SVL75 with 700 hours on it. Little hard getting used to joysticks!

19. Hysert

Funny I can't run foot controls.. tracks are so easy to clean too. One of the best features

20. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Hopefully soon I'll find one that has everything I want w low hours, looking at bobcat t300s, new holland c185s, and john Deere ct332s, I'm going tracks all the way!