1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tracked Skid Loaders Review??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ne1, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I'm considering purchasing a a T190 or similar loader and putting a pusher box on it. Can anyone tell me the pro's or con's of using a tracked machine? I currently use S250 2 speed machines but see alot of operators using tracked. I could definitley see better traction and maybe more pushing power but not having a 2 speed seems like a big deal.
  2. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

If you have ice , tracked machine is a no no from what I have herd. Never ran one but thats just what I hear.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

An S250 2speed will outperform a T190 on snow work easily.....but if you put them in the dirt,sand,mud,gravel, any loose soil or hillsides,etc the T190 will do the work of 2 s250's......If you are buying for mainly snow work, I would consider something else....the track machines you see, are they Bobcat or ASV/CAT..cause the track design on those machines is suppose to make better traction for pushing snow on pavement?....I am anxious to try my new RS T190 out this winter. I dont think it will get traction as good as some others but i think it will do better than a T190 without the roller suspension....it sure feels like it when i've had it out on the pavement this summer.
  4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I've seen a few up here with blowers on them. I've yet to see any with a plow or pusher. I'm guessing they don't work as well for pushing. Although if you could get studded tracks it may be a totally different outcome.
    I definitely would like one for the summer season though. They do such a great job for grading and landscaping from all that I've seen.
  5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

The way I see it, the tracked machines put down about 4-5 PSI ground pressure.

Measure your foot and you might find out that you personally put down 15 PSi or so.

Grab a shovel, stand on ice, and tell me how much snow you can push.

I have a mini bobcat skidsteer that puts down about 25 psi pressure. With a 4 ft bucket I can push about 4" of slushy stuff before I spin the wheels. And thats being generous on really icy situations. On pure ice and on a very slight incline, there have been times when I couldn't even move at all--just sit and spin.

You need ground pressure to push heavy snow. If you didn't, everyone on this board would be recommending a jeep with a 9 ft blade instead of a 3/4 ton with an 8 ft blade.
  6. J & A

J & A Junior Member

Track machines

My company has a cat 277 multi-terrain loader and a cat 236 ruber tire skid steer and they have both proven to be very efficent in heavy snow. Each machine is outfitted withh a 9 foot power angle plow and an 8 foot push box . The machines are in a good size commercial lot and have no problems with traction or pushing power, the track machine has a bigger engine and pushes with no problem , the rubber tire machine works very well with the blade and box combos the only downfall for me is loading and stacking after the event on dry pavement is not good for the tracks so we run the rubber tire machine .
  7. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

I put in about 20 hours in a CAT 257b track steer this year pushing snow.

Never had a single problem with traction, I ran out of power before I lost traction, would have been better if it had 2 speed though.
  8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Hmmmm. I think I will look further into a 247. I don't need it to move mountains but I could use something smaller in the summer. How many hours before you need to replace the tracks do you figure?
  9. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

We had a JLG tracked skid steer and a New Holland wheeled maching and the wheeled machine was running circles around the tracked maching. The tracks wanted to float ontop of the snow too much, like a snowmobile. When you started pushing on the pavement, any bit of snow or ice would cause the tracks to spin and it would just sit there. Now on the other hand, when its warmer out and the pavement is just wet, the tracks are really good....
  10. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

The only coomplaint I would have using tires machines is that you can lose power turning corners with a pusher bucket. I thought maybe the tracked machines would have more pushing power on those wet or heavy snow's