1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

track type skid-steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bobshm, Oct 14, 2004.

1. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

Has anyone used a track type skid-steer for snow removal ? My Bobcat dealer says they will not perform in the snow, which would be a shame, because a T190 is a sweet machine.
  2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We use the ASv RC-50 with a Blizzard 810ss plow and an ASV RC-100 with a Blizzard 8611ss to remove snow at the shop. They work awesome. :gunsfiring:
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i think the track offer to much floatation and not as much traction as a wheel machine.
  4. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

Jon, do your machines have a deeper track than a Bobcat track ? The dealer, and Bobcat, suggested that I drill 3/8" holes in the track and stud it with bolts. I'm sure asphalt would love that.
  5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

They do have a little deeper track than a BOBCAT, and thus far I have not seen an issue with traction. Maybe different snow conditions have different affects than what we have here, but I think they move quite well.

The RC-100 has a 2 speed trans, and that realy helps when traveling (high for long runs, and low for stacking and heavier snows).

Just my 2 pennies. :blush2:
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I thought Bobcat did not recommend useing the track machine on pavement. I could be wrong but I thought I heard that somewere
  7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

We also run an ASV, MD2810 with an 8' pusher box. It is incredible, it pushes great and goes anywhere. Traction is great too.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think it all depends on the operator, just like any skid steer. If the operator knows the limits of the machine and when it will lose traction when pushing, then they will be able to make it perform. If not, they won't like it and will say it won't work.

I haven't used out 190 for snow plowing, just moving some piles and snow blowing, but I think it would work fantastic. They are like mini dozers in the dirt, so I think they would do quite well, even with the lower ground pressure.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We had an ASV at my old job, used it for farm work. Awesome machine, but for a 110hp turbo diesel it sure seemed to be gutless. Could stall out the tracks pretty easy in the mud....

We don't get real deep snow here, so the ASV makes a great machine.
  10. dadrasdad

dadrasdad Junior Member
    from CT

I've plowed lots of snow for years and the little ASV rc-30 is an awesome machine in the snow. The second best plow machine I've used is a Steiner/Ventrac. I don't understand those that say rubber tracked machines aren't good in the snow. That's certainly not my experience.