1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

track skidsteer and pusher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greasemonkey, Dec 15, 2001.

1. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

Anyone have any experiences and / or oppinions on tracked skidsteers and snow pushers? Not a conventional skid steer w/ tracks over the wheels, but a ruber-tracked machine like the bobcat T200 or takeuchi TL130 / TL150? Do you think it would be able to push snow more or less effectively than a conventional machine?...We leased a Bobcat T200 for the winter and have a 10 ft avalanche box for it. I already know it climbs salt piles pretty well.

-J

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We have two T190's out in Salt Lake City. One has an 8 foot ProTech and the other has a 10 foot ProTech on it. Been pushing snow for three weeks now, and they have worked quite well.

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

John,
    Could you tell me who makes a T190 and does it work better than your regular skidsteers.

On the same lines does anyone have experience with Cats apv?
    Thank You

4. steveair

steveair Senior Member

hello,

from my own experiences with 864's on the job site (previously the t-200) and word of mouth they are awesome machines in the snow.

and I bet it climbed that salt pile well! I've seen them go up hills, turn around, drive on slopes, and then come back down like nothing I have ever seen. They are awesome machines......just don't ruin the tracks......big $.

steve

5. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

6. Mike Nelson

Thanks guys,

We have both dealers in our area (Cat & Bobcat).I am going to call for a demo of both machines.

Seems to me even in the summer running over grass you will have less ground pressure with the track machine vs. tires.Does this make sense and why they came out with it?
    Thanks

7. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

what's the top speed on those machines?

8. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

Mike-

I would try to locate a takeuchi dealer in your area and demo both the TL130 and TL150.... Considering how well the t-200 bobcat pushes the 10 ft box, I know the TL150 could handle a 12 ft box, probably a 14 ft box (its got a 105 hp motor). Plus it has 2 speed and it doesn't have foot pedal controls for the bucket....the tl 130 is probably about the size of a bobcat t-190 and I'm pretty sure it's got 2 speed as well. The takeuchi's come standard w/ cat style controls, but are available w/ case style controls for and extra ~$250...

I'm not sure how nice they are to estabished turf, but I know they go places in the mud and slop that regular skid steers wouldn't dare go....

-J

Last edited: Jan 21, 2002
  9. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

I'm not sure what the top speed is on the bobcat's, but they seem slugish compared to case 75/85 xt's. I only drove the cat machine once but it seemed to be about the same as the case 75/85 xt's. I guess you could check the webpages for the specs, but they never really tell the whole story.

-J

10. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

11. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

Hey mike we are leasing a asv posi trac rc30 for the winter I think this is what you mean by cats version they are owned by cat and built here in minnesota. Ours is a small 30hp unit with only 2.5 psi of ground pressure.They also make much larger units with the same low psi .We will purchase in the spring if it holds up well through winter so far not so good though lots of small problems. the broom whe rented with it is already toast. T raction on this thing isnt very good. seems low soil compaction equals low traction . Its primary use in summer will be landscaping across golf course type lawns where whe wont take the bobcat . I have no doubts about the bigger units though have seen them go through some pretty deep mud.Most of the bgger power line clearing companies around here use the asv's.

12. John Allin

We also have a couple of ASV's in SLC.
    Dynamite machines....

But... watch a monster sno-cat up close and you cannot help but be impressed with what they will do on a ski-slope. I've had several opportunities to witness them work and they are very impressive.... don't work for squat on pavement though.

13. Mike Nelson

Turning out to be a very interesting and informative thread.

From what I am reading,the wheeled machine would be better on paved surfaces for plowing?Understanding that the track machines are made to be driven on soft soil.

JA is right! Watching a sno-cat driver is awsome.That man has a BIG SET for taking that machine places where I wouldn't even walk let alone drive that thing.:D
    John maybe you could ask for a ride and then tell us your experience :eek:

Thanks for all the info

Last edited: Jan 22, 2002
  14. John Allin

Nope.... I'm not getting one of them. I too have seen where they go, first hand. Not for me.

15. steveair

steveair Senior Member

That cracks me up about the artic cat's....

I was up in vermont last week on a ski trip with my excavator......he likes buying all the 'neat toys' when it comes to equipment.

We saw a artic cat with a set of pallet forks on the front and the guy was moving garbage dumpsters around the parking lot with it.

I told him to buy one because of how 'versatile' it was. I know he wouldn't, but I definetely saw a light bulb light up above his head for a few seconds!

steve

Last edited: Jan 22, 2002
  16. Mike Nelson

Originally posted by steveair

"I was up in vermont last week on a ski trip with my excavator"

Steve,

I had to read it twice. I was thinking who takes their excavator on a ski trip..:D :D :D

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've operated both the T200 and T190, they both have theri good and bad. (Neither one pushing snow though.) I like the vertical lift path of the T190 and it seemed smoother than the 200, but it seemed a little lacking in power. The 200 did not lack power IMO. I was told they (by the sales rep, so who knows how true it is) that he sold a 200 to a welldrilling company last year and he said it move a pile of snow as big as the loader. I would love to get a 190 though.

18. steveair

steveair Senior Member

lol,

I guess it doesn't sound quite right now that I re-read it!

Oh well, the guy really helps me out during the year so it was the least I could do.

steve

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike,

I've got the Cat 248 skid steer and I absolutely love it! The 2 joystick controls are very easy to adapt to, I came off a backhoe to run this and after about an hour ran it very well. Visibility is awsome, you can grade with it better than I ever would have thought.

Shortly after I bought the 248, Cat brought out the ASV and I demoed one but didn't really care for it. It's much bigger, quite a bit noisier and the seating position is a lot more reclined which interferes with visibility. I also thought the controls were more cumbersome. The 248 is better suited for my needs.

But here's the icing on the cake, Cat has recently introduced a tracked version of their skid steer, I think the number is 277. Not tracks on wheels, but a full bogied suspension with wide rubber tracks. I plan to demo one of these this spring to see if they do less damage to lawns and might possibly be more stable under load. If you get up around John Jay High School, there's a rental center across the street that has two of these.

I also just saw an ad for Bocat's new skid steer that has dual steering axles like some old style payloaders used to have. There is a valve or switch that makes this machine function either as a conventional skid steer or with the dual steer. This should cut down on lawn damage as well.

This competition and technology is making for some fine and exciting equipment!!!

20. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member