1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

track skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I almost made my mind up on trading in my johndeere 315 skidsteer for a track 315 right after christmas. I seem to get stuck alot when working in dirt and I'm spinning in 6 inches of snow all the time. Plus I think that a track machine will perform overall better. From anyone that has a track machine can you try to talk me out of this before I sign the papers or just let me know some of the pros and cons over wheeled skids.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

To save another thread on this, try the search function in the upper right corner. Along with checking out the heavy equipment section towards the bottom of the forum home page. It's been covered lots of times before.
  3. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Another gentleman on here had a picture of his bobcat S300 with aftermarket tracks on for the summer and he switched back to tires in the winter. Do a search for loegering tracks.
  4. Comet

Comet Senior Member

I leave my OTT's on in the winter, I was able to climb onto large snow piles with ease if thats any help
  5. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

Go with rubber tracks , steel scratches asphalt and concrete.
  6. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

Out of all my machines my 315 track machine is one of my favorites. I love the simplicity because it reminds me of my older machines with out the sensors/electronic injections etc. (most new machines suck). Because the machine has a small frame and engine it is compliant with tier 4 emissions with out all the ********. It also seems to be the cheapest track machine on the market. This is the only machine we don't use in snow because offset lugs on the tracks don't offer traction, but you could still use it to clean sidewalks or load salt. In the dirt it defiantly holds its own though a little underpowered.
  7. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Is your primary use for the machine dirt work? If so, I wouldn't think twice about it.....go with a dedicated track machine and get a set of Solideal "B" pattern tracks for it. I was the first in my area to use the B pattern tracks, and now most of my friends, who also do excavating work, are switching to the B pattern tracks. B patterns work real well in snow, and are awesome in dirt, clay and mud too.
  8. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have a tracked machine and love it. They can go anywhere and do anything. They are stable and can lift alittle more. As stated above go with the Solideal B pattern. Tell the dealer you need those or Bridgestones polar tracks. (you can use them in mud, dirt, sand) they just wear faster on dry pavement as any track will..

Go for the tracked machine! you won't regret it.

Side note make sure it has 2 speed
  9. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

Thinking of pricing the polar tracks for my Kubota skid loader. Looked around online but couldn't find a price. Has anyone bought these before that remembers a general price they paid?
  10. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I really like my 315 wheeled as far as power goes for what I need it for. It does well in the landscaping buisiness it would be to small for escavators. Like you said I agree on the simple design works well for uneducated guys like me that don't need all the bells and whistles. I was going to use this for snow with my pusher i was concerned on the traction issue you talk about. Couldyou pm me more information on traction issues. Im deciding on this thursday after christmas. I was thinking on purchasing a backhoe for the machine also. Like i said really want this machine for snow pushing.Thamks
  11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've personally owned 2 tracked skid loaders for a short while, then I sold them to another farm, since I honestly didn't need it, it was nice, but don't need it.

Anyways, the rubber tracks are crap on ice, they don't leave that bad of marks on the pavement. BUT the biggest concern I had with them, and it happened to me, is if you turn 0 degree turn on a paved surface, and the track ripped off one side.

Metal tracks are crap on everything except sod from my experience.

I'd stick with a two speed wheeled or maybe a cat tracked loader. I owned a ASV RC 60 (cat knock off) and a Bobcat T190. The bobcat you could tip the bucket back far enough to start cutting your track with the bucket, they didn't really change anything on them, and they didn't design it so well. That was about 5 or 6 years ago now, maybe they fixed it by now.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The ASV's as far as I know are not just Cat knock off's. It's a totally separate line and cat started to use the ASV track system on their 7 series.

Also have fun with a Cat MTL if you get a 7 series with the ASV under carriage. Significantly heavier machine then the under carriage was designed for. Seems like they are maintenance hogs and costly to rebuild compared to other machines.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Far from a "cat knock off." ASV was a huge reason that Cat got into tracked skid manufacturing in the first place! They were also a MN based company, though the controlling interest appears to have been purchased by Terex in 2008. ASV is an interesting story:

14. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

No knock off for sure. There track system is the best in the market, that's why Cat uses them. I own an ASV R60 with an 8' Boss skid plow with wings. It works great for the storage facilities I plow. Although I would only this track system as all the others fail in the snow. I had the same questions that i posted in the heavy equip forum. Here are a couple of older videos that sold me on the ASV track system;

Keep in mind what the other members have talked about. Cat machines use this track system but come with a high price tag, and Terex bought out ASV but the both still use their posi track system. Good luck
  15. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

When I said knock off I was thinking more sub company, couldnt think of the wording lol.

Anyways as far as snow anything goes, my experience with the two of them, the ASV is BY FAR better in snow. They are both worthless on Ice in my opinion. That and the ASV track seemed to last another 100 hours or so longer then the T190. They were both 2 speed and the ASV was faster for on road. The track that ripped off wast the bobcat. Personally I'd go with cat or ASV over bobcat.

But the next one I buy will be none of these, I will be buying Gehl/Mustang next, as I like Gehl's "Twist" control and set up, if you can find one with a duetz turbo diesel, you'll fill it up once and go all year.
  17. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I run a track loader and a track toro dingo... I love them and would never buy a wheeled unit again
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree. Imo, the asv track system is nice but they aren't the best. It's true they go through anything but it seems in my area if anyone can get more than 150-200 hrs out of them without rebuilding part of the undercarriage you've done well. There is a lot of gravel and sand up here by the way. Personally I think the Cat 9 series has the better undercarriage. Just my .02
  19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll agree with you. In the right conditions, the ASV undercarriage is perfect. But that environment isn't for everyone. For everyone that isn't needing a suspension/delicate under carriage they have a lot of other options. The one I prefer is Tak's system. Built like a tank, not the greatest ride though on hard surfaces with the factory tracks.
  20. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I run a track machine and would never use tires again. The thing I find funny is when people say they suck on ice. How well do tires work on ice?