1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Track Machine - Yes or No for Snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by troymill, Sep 30, 2008.

1. troymill

troymill Junior Member

We are looking at buying a T250 from Bobcat mostly for landscaping in the messy season (ie playing in the mud), our only concern is putting it to work in the winter. Any Feedback from anyone that has plowed with a track machine before would be much appreciated, we currently have 2-205's, and a A300, along with a bunch of Kubota tractors that all do the job fine. From reading the forms just trying to find out more direct answers.

1. Have you done it? if so how did it compare to wheel machine or is it a waste of time?
    2. How was the wear on the tracks?
    3. Did you get "snow tracks" a track with deeper groves?
    4. Any other pointers.

Thanks for you time.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try the "equipment" forum. More answers there probabily.

3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Nice Machine but i'd go with a Cat..... But in response I would try and stay away from the track machines in the snow....I'd be cautious about getting snow and salt in the undercarriage and if the snow freezes up you could have problems.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

from everything i remember ,,, which isnt much,,, most guys say to never use a track mahcine for snow

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They used to say that, until snow tracks came out. ;)

6. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

We have a Case 450ct for the past two years it has plowed every storm with no real issues. We use a 9' Snow Wolf plow with wings. The only issue is when the lots get icy it can slide a little and lose traction. As far as track wear we use it on large lots and had the operator leave a some snow where he would turn around to lube the tracks and the tracks are still in very good condition. It has two speed and plows great in either speed. Everyone has their own opinion though. Just my 2 cents.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

good thoughts, leaving some snow , can cost salt...... and i dont own a tracked machine, but i have used them , i know the cost on those tracks is way high....

can you store your machine indoors after use? or does it sit outside? the reason i ask, if you give the tracks a chance to dethaw, you might not have many problems beside wear... i know if frozen stuff gets in there it doesnt take much to destroy a set , or thorow it off

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Id go with a cat too, a 287/297c :p Their cabs are damned perfect , for a skid steer at least.

I have NO experience with them in snow, so take this far what it is that i can offer.

You may have problems with ice underneath if left out in very very cold temps and it never falls off or warms up

Im sure "tracks" in the snow surface would be no worse than 4 wide tires squishing it like ruts. Ive heard most guys say tracks cant get as good "grip" as 4 tires in packed snow... mainly because Deere and cat have "standard" tracks.

ASV i think offers tracks for their models and CAT that are aggressive mud/snow tread for this reason.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the reason for the pour grip as i understand is mainly due to the high floatation that they were designed for. same thing with truck tire... for what ever reason ppl seem to think that big tires get better traction.... this is wrong, the float so great for mud... snow you want high psi , you want "pizza cutters" to dig down and find the pavement

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Amen to that.

11. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

We clean up the turn around spots after the main lot is clean prior to salting. We bring it back to the shop after a big event to power wash the junk out, which is not much. The tracks and undercarriage are pretty clean. If we had more tracked machines I wouldn't hesitate putting them out to work.

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

You guys that think you know something about tracks, don't know anything. I have 2 ASVs. I push with both. They are by far the best snow pushing skid loaders I have ever used.

Its all in the tracks. It you have a tight type track pattern like an ASV or a Cat. You will get more traction Vs. an open track (Bobcat, Takeuchi, etc)

The only time I have ever had a problem is going up a real icey incline with a load in the box. (It has to be a steep incline)

I have also witnessed my RC50 in a lot next to a Bobcat S300. Mine has an 8ft box the 300 an 8 ft snow bucket. RC50 weighs roughly 6000 Lbs. S300 something like 8000 Lbs. Mine is a track unit, S300 isn't. Both in roughly the same size lots same grade as well. Both have good operators. (Operators are key) My machine flat out moves more snow. Is it the tracks? Hell yes!

J.

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have a friend in upstate New York who leased a Cat, and New Holland Track machines last year. He stated the same. The Cat track machine out pushed his rubber tire New Holland skids, and the New Holland track machine. He was looking for a decent used Cat track machine to purchase for this season. All he does is snow.

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I tried a 277C last season. It worked real nice. it could move a lot of snow as well. I was only in it for a few minutes, but my operators were in it for hours. It came down to price and what I wanted to own, so I bought a new PT80 and have been extremly happy.

ASV stock tracks work best in the snow. I am undecided on the new Extreme tracks. I think they might work well in the mud, but snow and mud are two completely different things. I do know that they are going to make a rougher ride and they will wear faster.

J.

15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Heres a pic from an account that we did last year. I am not going to keep it this year so I can focus more on commercial.

J.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll have to get my ASV dealer to read this post.

He wouldn't sell me one if I were to use it for snow.

17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

What??

Thats just stupid. I am guessing he sells some other brand and didn't want to make that brand look bad.

Like I said I push with 2. The 05 RC50 and an 08 PT80. There is no other machine that can do the year round work these can do. I will never own another brand. Unless its a junker for loading salt. Lol

J.

18. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Heres my new one.

Second pic is right after the flood waters went down and we started doing recovery work and its the day it was delivered.

J.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  19. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

No, I think it was the track issue, tearing the tracks off.

He's said that he's had other operations go through 1-2-3 sets of tracks / winter.

I'm of the belief that alot of that is operator error. IMO, anyways.

20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have over 800 hrs on my 50s tracks. No problems at all. But I don't drive it like I stole it though. And I fire guys who do.

the 80 has just over 100 and no wear at all to speak of.

J.