1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

track drive snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Feb 11, 2007.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what are the advantages/disadvantages to a track drive snow blower. or any other info about them. thanks
  2. bunkers

bunkers Junior Member

They have better traction than wheels and do not require the use of chains.

Higher cost of maintenance; More difficult to manuever in some situations;
    Cannot be moved except when motor is running;
  3. tl-s4now

tl-s4now Junior Member

After alot of research and trips to my local dealer, I bought a Honda 928 TAS. The best thing I ever bought. This thing can blow snow for days and and the Hydrastatic transmission is the best invention ever. The track drive is great at getting into the snow and not riding up on it. And the thing can climb a flight of stairs with ease.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Honda makes a great product...

I don't know why Honda isn't more popular...They make one of the best products out there.Quite,economical to run, might cost more up front but I feel are well worth it.
    My HR21 push mower is still running strong,I bought that new in 1988.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

well i was planing on buying a used tracked Honda HS-55, but it sold already. i have a 3650 toro, which is great for about 90 % of the storms we get here, but this last dumping we got put a hurting on the Toro. it didnt like 12" + of heavy packed snow, i think the belt is also about tost. thanks for all the answers.
    one thing, there is 1990 tracked john deere for sale, how good are deere blowers?
  7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Each has their purpose IMO. I like the tracked ones when I have large sidewalks, or lots of continuous sidewalk to clear (ex. the hospital I plow for). However, when I only have residential sidewalks (which tend to be smaller and only take a few minutes) I prefer the wheels (I run a single stage on these though, and I'm not sure if tracks are even an option on any single stage thrower out there), but in the end it just depends on how much work/snow I had to do/clear and how long it will take me. I have no complaints about either!