1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Track bobcat , will it push snow ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Superior L & L, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We recently added a bobcat t-590 to our fleet, wondered if anyone has anything good or bad to say about pushing snow with a track machine. It would stay at a site and it will only have short distance runs
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Search around the site, it's been covered many times.

Short answer: with the factory tracks, no it will be very poor in the snow.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We run a T190(what the T590 replaces). With reg tracks it did ok with an 8ft pusher, especially if the pusher has a floating hitch design of sorts. Put polar tracks on it and you can run a 10ft pusher. With polar tracks on a T190/590, it will out push S250 size wheel machines with reg lug tires, easily.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I know you & I have discussed this Mark, but Tak machines oem block tracks are even worse than the C tracks most BC's come with(for snow work).
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I used one last year, stock tracks. Great for stacking piles higher, but boy did it suck on ice. Snow wasn't SO bad, but definately missed the toolcat I was used to using. Get the aftermarket tracks, and you'll be ok though.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I did forget that some (maybe all?) of the BC's have those C pattern tracks as opposed to my Tak that has the big blocks. I'm hoping to throw some Camoplast B pattern tracks on it for next season.
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Spot on right here, ice or hard pack good luck!
  8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

It wont matter if it has tires or tracks, both will suck on ice unless your using some sort of stud system or chains.
  9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

They all suck on ice, but tires are noticeably better.
  10. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

You could have gotten that machine with the snow tracks. Not the polar but the grooved snow tracks, they are now offered as a bobcat option. I almost bought a 2013 590 but they don't have 2 speed unlike new holland track machines
  11. SnowGuy73

Exactly, because you have more weight on less surface area.
  12. blmland

blmland Junior Member

I've ran studded tracks for @ 6 years. Works great, but chews up asphalt and concrete. So I grooved my tracks several years ago. I have since grooved many tracks (and tires) for other companies. Grooving them makes them as good, if not better than tire machines.
    If your tracks are near wore out, it can gain you some more hours of use.
    Grooving runs @ $300 for the pair.
  13. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

We bought 2 CAT multi terrain track loaders for our snow routes and they work great. After renting a compact track loader, I'm glad we spent the time researching. Compact track loader was terrible. It couldn't push anything.
  14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

They are great on non iced surfaces. Ice causes them to lose traction quickly.
  15. SnowGuy73

Those look like some mean tracks.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Color me stupid, but trucks suck on ice as well, so I'm not really sure that saying a tracked Bobcat sucks on ice should be a great revelation to anyone.

Like Rick said, they all suck. Trucks, loaders, tractors, skidsteers, etc. Chains or studs are the only solution for good traction in ice.
  17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That is, until you groove the tires.........