1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Track Bar ?'s

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 2, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I got 2500 1998 dodge Ram V10 4X4 extended cab short box.Ok here's my problem.The Jam nut on the track bar came loose so I had to weld it.Ok but the socket on drivers side is starting to get some play..The track bar is maybe 6 months old and is greased every other week.I thought greasing the front end often would help because there is way too many moving parts and would save me some greif.But Not true :( .So is there a rebuild or something available for this joint?I don't wanna replace this whole $400 bar for one joint. Also I'm gonna go after some plowing for next year my Question is can A hang a fisher EZ-V or a boss V-blade off the front end of this thing.Or would I be better with a straight western Or something.My truck has about 210,000km's on it.Any help will be appreciated.Thanx

1998 Dodge Ram V10 2500 4X4 @310hp
    2004 Western Star Tri-axle dump truck MBE450hp

2. DELBERT

DELBERT Member

3. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Ok thanx for the info...Anybody else tried this Lukes link? Its much cheaper than a whole track bar.You think my welds will hold up on the track bar or is there too much flexing at the jam nut.I welded it on both sides of nut good and solid that baby won't come free but is the Bar supposed to be able to flex?

4. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

As I understand it, the play in the joint has nothing to do with how tight the nut is on the ball joint stud. That stud is a tapered unit so there is no problem there. Also you may have ruined the threads by welding, since with a luke's link you are supposed to reuse that ball stud. I am just waiting to be paid for a couple of invoices and I am junking my OEM track bar and going to one with a better design. Check out this thread on Turbo Diesel Register, for just about all the info you need on this issue. BTW I am going to purchase a track bar made by Thuren Fabrication.

5. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Sorry there is some comfusion here I had welded the Jam nut on the linkage for the alignment adjustment not the other sorry if I was a little vague

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Lukes Link takes about 45 min- easy and it is the cheapest fix. I have one.

The factory track bars suck- the TRW and MOOG are no better. Either use an aftermarket replacement kit or a lukes link- you will have to add a shim to the lukes link about every 6-8 months and you can rebuild them when you run out of shims. (he supplies you with some)
    Search this forum for many other threads about this- one very recently has a TDR article link with all the popular options.

7. apkole

apkole Member

Just got done installing a Luke's Link on my '01. I will probably install one on the '99 when that goes. Good fix, relatively simple and painless to do.

8. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

OK Guys I have an answer to my own question here on Track bars.Ok Go to NAPA and get your track bar there.It costed me $200 Canadian and it has a lifetime warranty.It is also altogether a much heavier bar and joint.We'll see how long it lasts.The counter guy said if I notice play with this new bar just bring the truck buy and they will give me new one providing I have the receipt.You can bet I'm holding on to that baby.Thanx guys for your help and I hope some others are able to be helped from this.YAY for NAPA

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

NAPA doesn't offer that bar here. Make photo copies of your slip- they fade fast.

10. cvaturf

cvaturf Junior Member

I have used four NAPA trackbars on my 95 2500 in the past 2 1/2 years. Any signs of excessive play and I'll replace it once again. On the postive side I have finally had tires last more than 15,000 and not worn out on the edges. Don't always trust alignment shops to check the trackbar--DIY (2 sets of BFG Commercial TA's used up in 25,000 miles; original trackbar was sloppy but not detected by alignment shop) FYI: I now check it every 3 months