1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toys R Us

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sectlandscaping, Oct 29, 2014.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Got a proposal for this site. https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...m2!3m1!1s0x89e60e041bf003a9:0xcb5802ddb2be433

Not going to name the company and not sure if this is a reverse bid type thing. The proposal that was sent to me is $295 for 2-4" and $85 to deice. This is walks, loading docks, etc. Of course I have the option of sending in my own price but somebody out there will do it for what they want.

Now I have to ask Northeast folks. Is prices really getting that low? I only heard back from 2 out of dozen places and they said no. I still have proposals out there and new ones. So before I even got this I was thinking I was bidding high. Now I see this deicing at cost and I could get paid hourly by someone else to do that lot and make more.

Its a 3 acre lot. Salt/sand is going for $60 a yard. I think 2 trucks could do it in less then 2 hours but ideally there should be heavy equipment there for the long pushes. If I ran the numbers maybe just under a grand for 2" with salt. Whos crazy here me or them?

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I wouldn't take a piss on the front door of that place for that price.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That.s the starting price, with the reverse bidding you go as low as you feel you can go,and then someone will go less. I think if you register,you can watch the bidding go down.

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

That's nuts!!!

5. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

There's no way you would make a profit there, with those numbers

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you are,as long as your the management company.

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think your in the ball park with 2 trucks in about 2 hrs, $150 an hour per truck aint bad. Do you want to get more money then $295, I think so especially with the sidewalks. If your going to use salt you need to get a lot more then $85.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Please say that's a joke
    It's not that bad here yet

9. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

The price gets lower from here? I can sign up somewhere to watch this. This is awesome.

I wanted to make sure I wasnt losing my mind. You lose so many bids, not knowing if your high or low and then start seeing the prices and are like wtf.

Well are they even getting a few grand a event or what? They could be lowballing themselves that they have to beat the contractor to even get it done.

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

and the hits keep coming . let them have it . sit back , relax . it'll look like an episode of spongebobsquarepants . a good one !:laughing:

pt barnum " theres a sucker born every minute "

11. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

.12 x sq. ft per storm . minus state / fed taxes

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

BFS sent me the same prices for about the same size lot. Told them their de-ice price is a joke, 2" price isn't horrible, never heard back. I'm sure someone jumped on it.

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

For a 3 acre lot here the plowing is more than fair. Take the overage from that and apply it to the deicing and it comes out about right, for my numbers.

14. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

2 trucks 85 per hr ,,, is 340 per push

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

$85 hours minus driver $30 an hour minus gas $10 hour minus over head wear and trear on truck and plow you are paying them to plow

16. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The plowing includes sidewalk clearing. I tried to figure this out as though it were seasonal to see if your theory was correct, and if it is, and that's "more than fair" for your area, I'd get out of the business yesterday.

22 plowings at $295 = $6,490.00
    35 de-icings at $85 = $2,975.00

so that gives you $9,465.00 to work with.

here's how that number would work.

35 saltings of 2100 lbs at $.06)be surprised if you're even paying that little this year) = $4,410.00

22 plowings 3 hrs (acre an hour) at $55.00/hr = $3,630.00

35 sidewalk clearings at $40.00 each (wouldn't send my crew to any job for that little, let alone a high traffic retailer with tons of kids walking around) = $1,400.00

$4,410.00+ $3,630.00 + $1,400.00 = $9,440.00 WHEW!!!! I'M RICH!!! OH MAN!!! I DO A TOYS R US!!! I'M AWESOME!!!

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I read it too fast...

Those numbers are nuts.

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I highly doubt it's a reverse bidding thing. NEGOTIATE! Everything is negotiable! The plowing price is close but could be better even for my area but the salt price is way too low I think, but depends on what they want kept black top. Not to play devil's advocate here but we have worked with a maintenance company for years and we have a great relationship with them and they are just as confused on some prices as we are in here (meaning price fluctuates so much from area to area on everything from plowing prices to mulch). All I can say is make a wise counter offer and if they accept...great!, if they don't then walk away, it's that simple. BTW I can't believe you guys are paying 60 bucks for a ton of salt, we're up to 95.00!!!!!!!

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Last year $70 a ton this year $85

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Last year we were at 61.50, this year 95.00!