1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toyota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Feb 23, 2002.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well my Toyota finally let me down, sort of. Pulled it in ysterday to unload the spreader. Afterwards took it down to the deli to get lunch. By the time I got back had a good amount of steam from under the hood. Turned out to be the water pump had failed. Not a bad job to do but I was a little upset. That changed when I remembered that I had never done a water pump, or anything to this truck. 312,000 miles on a single water pump is pretty good IMO. Truck is back together now but I am keeping the plow and spreader off until I see flakes falling.

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Geez if you can't find a more dependable unit I'd just give up and buy a Bowtie.

J/K that's pretty impressive.

Bruce

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You should be given an award for getting 312K out of the head gasket,let alone the water pump.If that is a 22R-E ,those things usually eat head gaskets,and crack heads on occasioni I have repaired quite few.You must be on top of coolant flushes,most people do not maintain their cooling system,until theres a problem.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Every year it is flushed. Actually the early Toyota v6s were known for bad head gaskets. I have never had a problem with the 4 cylinders. I do a lot of preventive maintenance thoug. I am more then happy with the durability of the Toyota.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

didnt the bodies rust real bad on those models too?

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Only the beds? Want to know why? The cabs were made and front were made in Japan they were shipped over without beds to save space. They then added the beds in CA. So the rusty beds are due to cheap American steel and shoddy welding techniques.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually the rear bumper is the first one to rust out. A few years ago the rear bumper on my truck rusted out so badly that the step plate was gone and the bumper was in two pieces. I replaced it with a new bumper. Also the bed near the exhaust area is rusting out which is also common.

But still my Toyota is a strong and dependable truck.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

First thing I do is mount an aftermarket bumper on them. I like a nice stepbumper that is strong and safe.

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

CT, Toyota and others did that to beat the import
    quotas at that time. Shipped w/o beds, mirrors,
    and a couple other things. Assembled in port to
    beat those quotas. Thats why most Japenese
    companies started building them in US and Canada !
    .........Geo

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I know that is true. This is why the beds rust. They are made of cheap American steel. The cabs are solid long after the beds fall off.