1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toyota towing BIG enclosed trailer Pics.

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by Stuffdeer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I pulled up at the gas station, and was looking, and this pulled up a couple pumps over....

0203071004.jpg

0203071005.jpg

0203071005a.jpg

0203071005b.jpg

0203071005c.jpg

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

maby hes got another truck in there

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have a customer who was pulling a 24 ft travel trailer (3200lbs dry), decide to buy a 32 ft travel trailer (4200lbs dry) I told him not good, truck doesn't have the weight or frame strength and the trailer has too much lever arm .
    He decided it would be fine, toyota told him it could tow 7700lbs, plus he's a desk riding engineer and did the "calculations".:dizzy:

Second trip out somewhere in upper NY the trailer "for no reason" took them for a ride, by the time it was over they had rolled the whole rig. the truck looked like licorice twist.

Tundra towing big trailer:nono:

5. AmericanHandymn

AmericanHandymn Junior Member

That's the brand new tundra....rated to tow 10,500lbs. That thing is beefey as hell...the short bed with the reg cab and 5.7 engine may be my next plow/tow rig. 381hp 401ftlbs tq....hell of a truck!

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is the one in the pick 2wd it looks low i hope its not 4x4

7. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I think that had something to do with Driver Error. I know a guy who tows a 35 ft with an f-150.

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Yep they can tow 10,100 to 10,700 with the 5.7l V8, all while getting 16/20 mpg (without the trailer).
    Thing can trailer right up there with most of the 3/4 tons on the road, if not better then most (using Toyota's ratings). Most likely this Tundra's gas mileage, with the trailer, is right around what a 3/4 ton would get without the trailer.

When Toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton and 1 ton the big three might finally figure it out. :(

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

So the Toyota engineers are wrong in the specifications? Let us look at your math.

Let us say that the he loaded the trailer with 1,000 lbs. giving a total trailer weight of 5200 lbs. Low and behold the Tundra weighs in at 5200lbs (regular cab, long bed, 4x4) as well.

So by your math 5200lb truck = 5200lb towing. Good engineering skills there. :dizzy:

Using your same math we can look at a Peterbilt 385 day cab. It has a dry weight of around 18,000lbs (if even that). Again your math says that it can only tow 18,000lbs. Given that a 53' box trailer goes around 11,000lbs (roughly) that leaves him with 7,000lbs of payload to put in there.

Given the fact that trucks hauling only 7,000lbs of cargo would most likely shut done our economy, I am glad there are desk engineers working the numbers and not you. :)

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i like it, its a good looking truck, i have said it before the big three better watch out toyota is going to take over.

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i think toyotas are ok personal trucks but i dont think they will be able to make a good work truck that can take a beating day in and day out

12. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

is what even funnier is look at the pic on the trailer, its another toyota towing a skid. Imagine pulling up to your job site in that, you would probably get shot with a nail gun.

13. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

lol a toyota on the jobsite

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Why not? Could it be that the new Tundra is made 100% in the USA? Or is it because it is foreign owned?

So a Dodge being 30% made in Mexico and foreign owned is better. OK I see, that makes a lot of sense.

15. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

no its just that it doesnt seem like a work truck to me it seems more like a luxury truck.

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Really? I always thought of the interior a little on the stripped down side. Then again I have not been around some of the new Tundras so I could be wrong.

17. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

who knows its just that i have never seen a tundra on a jobsite only time will tell if they are accepted by comercial vehickle owners

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOL ,,,spit it out and rince with:drinkup:

As we are talking scenarios.... He could have put that 1,000 lbs on the rear of the trailer......Do that math...

Who knows???......

19. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

ill tell you what, i have owned nothing but american trucks, and if toyota steps up their game and makes a good true full size i would def buy one, i dont give a **** about brand loyalty, or staying true to american trucks, screw that, toyotas are damn reliable, and great trucks.

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yea, i agree my grampus worked for ford, but i drive Chevy's...there allot better than those junk dodge's and a little better than fords.. lol sorry,saw the pic.had to say it..i would have to see the frame on that truck before i would buy!!!!!