1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toyota to build a true 3/4 ton Diesel

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by CT18fireman, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I got the information direct from a Toyota exec. In 2005 the will introduce a 3/4 ton truck based on the Tundra with a diesel engine aimed at direct competition with the big three. Possible one ton C&C models may also be built later.

Toyota made very durable but underpoered diesels for the U.S. market in the 80's. These continue to be produced in foreign markets and are actually well performing engines from what I have heard. I am sure their new diesel will be as well.

Only time will tell if this new truck is accepted by commercial buyers. I e-mailed back to make sure it can handle a snowplow. LOL I do know I will be giving it a serious look when they come out.
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if they will be priced competitively?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow,thats good news.Id like to see some serious competition from an import. All the full size imports to date have been seriously lacking,and cannot compare to Dodge,Ford/GM.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It would be nice to see some good competition,so the other big three will have to up the quality on their trucks.If they can build a truck with the Toyota quality,refinement and reliability,but with the brute strength and towing power of a true HD truck,they will have a winner.

As long as it's not to refined,I kinda like the good old rattle of a true diesel.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I wouldn't want a 3/4 ton toyota. but im sure they will be nice to people who like toyotas and a change from the 3/4 ton models from ford, dodge and chevy.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Wyldman I got to agree. My 15 year old Toyota 4x4 has more options and amenities then the new fullsize trucks. Cupholders, nice stereo, cruise, a/c, comfortable seats, etc. If this carries over into this new truck then I would want one.

Add to that some of the technology that foreign carmakers bring to the table and you have great possibilities. When I hear that the new Maxima is making like 280hp from a normally aspirated V6 I am amazed. Nothing like that from the big 3.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I know what you mean.The imports are way ahead of the North American automakers.

The other thing is quality.When an import mfg comes out with some fancy new motor,or trans,they have very few problems with it,and what problems they do have with it are usually quickly rectified.

When the big three try something,it takes them forever to work the bugs out of it,and usually upsets the customer in the process.Look at the new 6.0L Ford diesel.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Toyota has had virtually no problems with their V8. It is used in Tundras, SUVs and Lexus uses a version. Makes a lot of power and is very smooth. I have not received any major service bulletins on it.

Toyota used the 22r motor in trucks and cars from 1980 unitl 1995. Basically the same setup. Fuel Injection in 84-85 but otherwise no changes. Just a reliable well built motor. Don't forget the same motors run oversears on poor gas and awful maintanence, but they keep running.

You just can't say that about any of the big 3
  9. bdemir

bdemir Member

If they do come out with one i will considering one myself. I think it will be the last car i will have to buy for a while. My tacoma has held up great when my chevy and ford did not the toyota was there to bail me out always. I love my 99 tacome with 135k miles and counting. People think i am crazy when i overload it with drywall and pull tailers 16t long with loaded equipment (when im scraping the mud plaps etc..). The truck does sway alot due to the weight difference but the power and durability in the engine and tranny are there and the truck still runs almost as good as the first day i bought it. If they do come out with a one ton line i would be worried about the big three. Toyota is the most durable thing on the road in trucks suv and cars. Not to mention it has the highest selling car in america the camry and they are made in america now.
    Many parts on chevys are made overseas and the same with ford.
  10. bdemir

bdemir Member

I test dorve a lexus and let me tell you it drives like a dream. Inever drove a car like that and i have owned almost every stinking car from german, amercian to japanese. I even drove the is300 which is their sport model and you could still call it a dampened ride. you just dont feel any bumps its like heaven. Ive also test driven the tundra and it does have power buy i like the nibleness of my tacoma better. It just felt to big and a little rougher. Hopefull they will make a truck ride better by then i just love the car like ride of my tacoma. Toyota has done a real good job of making it more comfortable after the 99 year i think.

11. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I had a toyota (1982) when I started years ago(landscaping) didn't plow with it though. No doubt it would have, truck was an animal. Sold it to my brother, he beat the #$%^ out of it, body was roting bad when he got rid of it, still ran great though. Also had a Supra, great little car, I parked it winters, would get in after sitting all winter charge battery, thing started right up. American cars you can't do that with, I now run chevys but would seriously look at switching if pricing is comparable.
  12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Do you think VW quickly addressed the coil pack problem they had . Seems like they ignored it for quite some time
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think they have taken care of most of the coil problems.Now the aftermarket has to catch up as well.There were a lot of counterfeit coils being sold that looked just like original VW(Bremi) parts.A lot of that wasn't VW's fault.

Now if they could just solve all the MAF problems ......:rolleyes:
  14. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The duramax in the chevy/Gm trucks is Izuzu. They still have some problems but are a great running motor and nice and quiet. I don't know if I'd buy a toyota 3/4 ton but for the big three Im sure it will prove a tough competitor.
  15. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

My wife drives a 98 Forerunner. I keep telling her that I'm going to put my 7.5 Ultramount on it and she thinks I am crazy. That truck has 90k on it and drives like new. I drove '03 and '04 Ford and Chevy P/U's, and when I hop out of those and into her old thruck, my body thinks that the 98 Forerunner is the new truck.

I would love to see Toyota give us a 3/4 ton P/U to plow with. I might just hold off on my new truck purchase in anticipation!:yow!:
  16. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

Wanted to poke your brain a little on the 3/4 Tundra. Do you know if it will only be offered with a diesel, or will a larger than 4.7L gas option be offered?

Also, does a 2005 model year mean end of 04, beginning of 05, or end of 05, beginning of 06.

I understand that you might not know anything more than you have already mentioned, but I would love to buy a 3/4 Tundra and might decide to wait on a new truck purchase to get one. I like to keep my trucks until they are half rust.
  17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have not heard much more then I mentioned. It will have other engines offered, probably a V6 and V8. Combinations of body styles, trannies and bed sizes are still unknown to me atleast.

Again this is all just what my "connection" at Toyota America told me. I went into a dealer and they claimed they did not know anything about it.

When I hear more I will let you know.
  18. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

My feeling is there is just nothing like good old Detroit power and sheet metal.... some people like the imports trucks, however I personally do not like them. Although some of the sheet metal now being used in the USA is an inferior quality Chinese steel... its still does not feel as flimsy as the recycled tin of the imports.
    The little details that I like are found like 3 cigarette lighters for more power is in the GM's line .... and as far as payload, I will stay Detroit based vehicles.

Also looking at the Automotive news website I found this

Unveiled at the Paris Auto Show was the new Toyota Land Cruiser, which replaces the Land Cruiser 90. The European Toy will have an all-new 4.0L V-6 (as well as the carryover 3.0L turbodiesel), a new Torsen limited slip differential, and optional TEMS, or Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension for adjustable ride height.

So that problem means that we will get the 3.0L turbodiesel motor.. So as compared to a GM 6.6 L, the Ford now 6.0L and the Cummins 5.9L seems small in comparison at purely looking at the numbers.

The other news looking for rumors on this I found was this

2005 Honda Pickup: Yes, pickup. Recognizing a mainstream market it does not compete in, Honda has been researching the pickup market for years. Initial speculation pointed to either following Toyota's lead with a true body-on-frame truck or basing the vehicle off the Pilot sport/ute. Recent indications suggest Honda may spawn a crossover SUV/pickup off the new Odyssey. Massive plant expansion could have been fueled by more than minivan demands...

only time will tell

Pete :waving:
  19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Actually Toyota has a series of diesels that go in light (Tacomas) to medium duty (like Mitsus) trucks overseas. They have a 3.0, 3.8, 4.7 and 5.8 diesel I think. Not sure of the exact sizes. When I get home I will check and get the HP/torque ratings as well.

As for your comments on steel. All Toyotas would rust out in the beds. Incidently all Toyota trucks that were made in Japan were shipped here without beds to be able to ship more trucks. The beds were made in CA and bolted on after they got of the boat. The rest of the truck holds up much better then the bed. It was the America sheet metal that was poor quality.
  20. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

That is not suprising.

By the way, there is quite a difference in ruggedness between the sheet metal of my '91 Chevy and the current '04 Chevy's. The new trucks use very light gage steel... probably to save weight which equates to better gas mileage (even though the mileage they get is still poor).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.