1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toyota Tacoma with Western plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by winbbokxl, Jan 8, 2003.

1. winbbokxl

winbbokxl Junior Member

Anyone using this setup had problems with the front differential 'puking' oil from the vent tube? Local factory dealer is giving me all kinds of stories.

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

never had a problem with my toyota pickup.i had a meyers plow for a while then i got a western for it 2 years before i sold it to a friend.its an 86 with 190,000 on it and still plowing every storm.what is the problem with yours??? front drive shafts?

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

what,he's saying it's puking oil because you have a plow on the front end ......that my friend is a line of bull

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Maybe the differential is slightly overfilled?Even iof it foams,it wont puke much,how much oil is it puking?

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

to full.it will stop

6. winbbokxl

winbbokxl Junior Member

'Puking oil'

According to the dealer, theres too much weight on the front end and its heating up the oil causing it to 'puke' out the vent tube.
    Checked the tube for clogs & the oil level - both OK.
    They talked to their factory hotline who claims its putting too much weight on the tires & changing the rolling diameter its designed for. They claim they run into this problem often with oversized tires ( I am running stock 31X10.5X15-A/T's)
    The plow is a 6.5' Sport utility on a V6 Xtra-cab. Western claims its not recommended for this truck, only for the standard cab due to the front axle weight. But the rating for both are the same (2650 lbs).

Have not had any traction problems and have not run it with the 300 lbs of counter weight recommended in the Western manual the back yet, but could this make a difference? Also am going to try increasing the tire pressure from the 26 psi recommended to 35+.

Any other ideas????

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Take the truck with the plow blade on it,to a certified scale,have a friend go with you,and have it weighed with you in it,and see what the front axle weight is.Compare it to the front axle GAWR,also make note of the total truck weight.If you are at or under the front axle GAWR(2650?)(this info should be on the drivers door jamb),and you are not overloaded on the toal GVWR,then you have a legit complaint and there is a problem that Toyota should be fixing,and I would pursure it until you are satisifed.If however you are over the GAWR or the total GVWR then you are on your own,and should live with it ,since you are overloading the truck.This is why plow manufacturers are shying away from selling the little plows for the compact trucks,to many little problems,and they arent HD enough to handle them anymore.I bet you are overweight,this would xplain your problem,If you add more ballast to get the front axle weight down,them your over the GVWR-its a catch 22.Id be interested in those weights if you weigh it,please post them.I also am assuming you are following the plwo manufacturers recommended sped limit if 45 mph with the blade on,right?tgo faster only foams,and heats the oil even more and adds to the problem. For what its worth i run my Dodge ,and GMCs 2-4000lbs over the GVWR regularly in the winter, with no problems what so ever,so far,so this may be an underengineered part to start with.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003