1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

(Toyota) Plow's on.....should I turn up the torsion bars??

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by Switchless, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Just put the snoway on my little toyota {4x4, manual trans. 92', 4cyl. standard bed}. It's used with 100,000 very easy miles on it. Looks perfect.
    However, with the plow, the front is only a 1/2" to 1/4" from hitting the bottom out rubbers. I like that the front is down and easier to see...... But, should I try to tighten up the torsion bars a bit, or leave them alone. Don't want to break one!!
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Probably not needed with the snoway. Remember those bumpstops are pretty far in on the control arm. A little movement there translates to a lot on the tire. I run 7 FT Fishers (Heavy) and only need to crank the bars two complete turns of the adjusting bolts. I have about the same and never have a problem.

Put the plow on and the bounce the front end I bet you still won't hit the stops. Also put some ballast in the bed, you will need it anyway. I run a 6ft Vbox in mine.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would agree with Flipper on the ballast. Make sure to locate as far back in the bed as possible and ideally secure it so it will not move forward. This should help.

We at Sno-Way appreciate your business.

4. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Thanks guy's for the help. I'll be doing all residential drives with the toyota, and my f250
    is just a pain for that........
    Thanks,
    Pete

5. the_experience

the_experience Member

The other option might be to get heavier duty torsion bars. Cranking them up is a bad plan because you're going to need an alignment every time you put the take the plow off and turn them back down. Downey and several other companies make 25 and 26mm torsion bars which will have a higher spring rate so they will squat less with the plow on, but will be at regular ride height when the plow is off. The only disadvantage is that they are going to ride stiffer unladen. You could solve that problem by mounting up a winch in front during the summer to put some more weight on there.

6. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

You read my mind (G). I have a set of 26mm bars on the way for the pickup.
    Thanks for the thought.
    Pete