1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toyota Plow Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIWEL, Jan 1, 2011.

1. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

I have just purchased my first toyota to plow with. It is a 1993 toyota pick up ext cab with a 6.5' western plow. Who plows with Toyota pick ups and how do they hold up? I run three Fords right now, 2 f350s and a f250. My thoughts for the Toyota is that the sidewalk crew will take it during the storm, and they will be able to open up any sites they are at and shovel the walks, and then as the storm is ending I will switch trucks with them and give them the 250 and I will take the toyota to do driveways.

Is this feasable, and is this a good truck to do it with, or should I keep it striclty with the shoveling crew?

Also post some pictures of your Toyotas with or with out plows!

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I had one , the weak point is the boxed frame , when they rust the frame breaks right in front of rear spring perch , and the round tube that supports the shocks at the top rusts away ovver time . But I LOVED it as a plow truck , I would do walks with it , tight areas and some pretty big jobs as long as the snow was under 8 inches . I didnt like shifting , but overall a good little truck

3. peterng

peterng Senior Member

he's dead on about the box frame. death. They have to be thoroughly blown out (6hr virgin job) and regularily oiled. I only drive the bigger truck if I have to. I love the maneouverability, awesome sight lines, handles more than you think it would. Pump up them front tires.

Quite light, getting the plow stuck in the pile is more of an issue. You learn what you can get away with. no ramming, 4lo & slow. We use it to open up the EOD and then rip off the Toro's & go.

It's the 1 truck that will NOT let me down, I don't trust the Ford at all. AC pump seized up and left me sitting last storm. Old plain Jane Tonka has never left me anywhere I didn't want to be. The old speecast is a worthy match on mine, simple and solid.

340,000 miles and purring.

It has limits, but I think you're going to love it for 95% of whatever you need to do.

Have fun!
    Pete

4. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

I am glade to hear all the positive reasonses. Lets see some pics! I haven't picked my truck up yet,.,, so i dont have any of mine yet.

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

put a set of Timbrens in the front only. Mine sits like stock up front, the Timbrens ride beautifully.

I'll get some pics here someday.
    Pete

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

plow them in 4LO and with 400-500lbs of ballast in the rear and a good set of tires they'll out plow any other driveway truck.

Our yota just plowed our 2' storm last week and did awesome. the driver in that truck was done hours before the other drivers in the f350's (myself included) we normally run wings on the plows to bring them out to 8'4" and they are fast covering that swath at once. but for this storm we did pull the wings as 2' is just too much for them.

7. peterng

peterng Senior Member

wow that testimony is wicked to hear. I wasn't sure if the little plow would lift the pro wings in the long term without causing damage.

And I can't believe you guys got a 2' storm as we got chit. light winter thus far up here, sucks !
    Pete

8. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Creek View,

It took me this long to finally get a picture of the yota up that you asked about. I took some pictures to update images on my web site.

Love that speedcaster. 6-8" forecast here tonight. I'll run the Ford for the commercial cause of the pro wings. I'll jump in the Toyota for the above average snow falls and give the bigger truck to my other guy. Got to be a bit more carefull in the yota not to get hung up. Even with 400lbs in the back, it's overall a much lighter unit than the Ford and it dosn't take much to get the plow hung up on those frozen banks.

How is yours treating you ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete