1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toyota 2.7 knock in cold weather

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kramer, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Just looking to see if any of you guys have had a knock in the 2.7 L 4 cylinder in cold weather. It only happens at startup and goes away when the engine warms up.

I was told there is a hydraulic actuator on the timing chain adjuster and that this is where the knock comes from....essentially until the actuator is loaded, its noisy--similar to a hydraulic lifter.
    It sounds more like piston slap or a bearing to me..... its really loud at 30 degrees or below and lasts about 5 minutes.

This is the second truck thats done it, (the other was a 98--this ones a 2000)--both had the 2.7 Liter and it seemed to start after the 30000 mile mark. There is no noise at all in warm weather (>40 degrees). Theres gotta be something inherent in the engine-- 2 trucks doing the exact same thing?? I'm not spending $1400 on a timing chain and new actuator to find out theres too much space between the cylinder and piston when its cold!

Somebody else had to have this problem before...its not something you can ignore.

Help?????? Thanks!