1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Township Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordplowdude, Jan 27, 2007.

1. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

Next winter im debating whether to try and get in plowing for my town. Who do I have to contact in the town? The DPW? Also, when do you usually need to sign up by?
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

they usually post it in the paper. I believe they take estimates by a certain date and then get back to you. I think they pretty much have an hourly rate all worked out ahead of time. for best info call the DPW and ask details.
  3. Harleyvu

Harleyvu Junior Member

what town are you interested in?
    I know the company that currently has the pickup plow contract for Brick township. It is done by submitting a sealed bid and then they open and award to the lowest bidder as many trucks as he says he has and then goes down the line.
    What would you be looking to make per hour, i could see if he has any openings?
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I can just about garuntee that you'd make better money plowing for yourself, if you don't want to buy the required insurance you would still do better than the township gig by hooking up with a contractor that uses subs and adds them to his policy, we do this for several of our subs. Obviously your truck, expierience and equipment will determine how much you make. You could shop around and go with the guy who will pay you the most but most importantly ask for the names and numbers of some of his other subs and be sure he pays reliably, otherwise he could offer me 20 bucks an hour more than Harry but I'd stick with the good payer every time.
  5. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

what are some of the hourly rates,I was going to get into it a couple of years ago in a suburb of chicago and they were paying 80.00hr with a 1000.00 sign on bonus, the only thing is you have to be insured for 1000000.00 with a million umbrella.
  6. Harleyvu

Harleyvu Junior Member

True Fireguy, one will always make more on ones own as long as nothing goes wrong. If i remember he won the bid for 120 per hr/truck for the pickups and something higher for the 16,900 truck with a 10' blade. Think he has guys for 70-95 per hour. also think they pay for gas, but not sure. And i do believe you are covered under the Township insurance.
  7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

In my neck of the woods township plowing is done by the trustees (it is part of thier pay that they recieve that they will plow the snow in the winter). The city plowing is all done by the city maintenance workers, however they do hire during storms for side streets and alley ways, and that is always broadcasted on the radio. Good Luck!