1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TKLAWN, Mar 31, 2008.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Let me start this out by saying we have serviced a 36 unit town home association for three years and they we're very happy with our service, actually said it was the best snow removal they have ever had. So it comes time for the annual bid and someone that lives there knows a guy who runs a lawn service, so the new company undercuts our bid, ok not that big of deal we will find other business. Well our contract is up today and it's still snowing, we got like six inches. the association president calls up and asks if we will do him a favor and plow one last time because the new guy is on vacation in Mexico. We told him sorry we're done. I hope this is'nt to horrible. Just had to share this story
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you did the right thing. No holidays during the snow season. Does his new contract run April 1 til March 31?
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

hehe they'll be back
  4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

So I would have to assume the new guy already has the title of the worst snow removal service they have had. haha thats great. I would have done the same thing.
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

You did the right thing! If they didn't want your services anymore why would you do them a favor!
  6. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I lost an condo complex I had for 6 years. a new board member said "we wont renew your contract unless you refund all moneys paid for salt. I cant believe you would charge us $135 to spread a little salt" I said absolutley not and explained the little bit was 1 ton each application which I pay $65 for and then send a $75,000 truck out to spread it. I know I am below industry average. any way contract ended today and we got 6" of snow same lady calls wants to know if we will plow it? what do you think?
  7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i say if they sign the new contract with your new costs due to diesel prices do it!
  8. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Good for you! If they were happy with your service, and you were the best company that they've ever had, then they shouldn't have a problem if you are a few bucks higher than someone else. After all, you get what you pay for!!!
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I wish that would happen to EVERY HOA that pulled this kind of bul%$#@!
    Ya bust your tail for 'em all winter and this is how ya get treated?
    Ya did fine-don't worry about it. But ya mite consider: do u live in a small town where , what THEY view as poor treatment could "get around"? You know, if they tell anyone about it. THEY'LL be the ones who where treated so badly.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I ran into a similar situation a few years ago and plowed. I figured I'd show them I was reliable, etc and they'd keep me. Didn't even get a "thank you".
  11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These G0D D@MN Customers ours!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work!

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Another thing.

Since here my part of Iowa. We had the most snow on record in many places. So you can gaurantee that there is going to be 50 more pick-up owning guys that think they are going to get rich in a big hurry, Just like those plow jockies did last year!

So its going to be real interesting bidding next season. So to hopefully combat these A-Holes! I am offering same price next year if you sign up now.

Hope it works.

But you still did the right thing there buddy.

13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

you did the right thing hands down. if they are willing to (for lack of a better term) stab you in the back and then ask for a favor outside of contract i think that is pretty rude.

if they are complaining about getting charged $135 to have 1 ton of salt applied they would **** a brick if i sent them a bill. lol
  14. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys thanks the positive feed back , glad to hear you guys feel the same way i do. It is always good to confirm your thoughts though. :D
  15. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

WTF is up with a supposed "plow guy" taking a vacation any time from Nov - mid April anyway?
  16. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Did you offer to charge them for it instead of a favour? Or just say no outright.
  17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Exactly I would love to take a winter vacation but I know the second I leave we would get snow. Since I started working for a snow removal company I have not taken a winter vacation.
  18. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

We offered to do it 75$ per hour for skid and truck, 30$ for shoveling but apparently that was to much. Oh well, hope the new guy has fun!:gunsfiring:
  19. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

I got a call that last snow storm. "Our plow guys is in Florida... can you plow my driveway?".. I replied with sure that will be $60. In and out in 4 min.
  20. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

How in the world do you make ANY money at those prices? $75 per hour for a skid and truck?