1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Townhome Division

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Avery Landscape, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Avery Landscape

Avery Landscape Junior Member
    from 5

..so this is my second year in snow.. first was small with just me a snowblower and 15 drives.. but now i have one of my customers offering me the complete maintenance on a new townhome division.. starting off with snow this winter... so i need help on a few things..

first off.. there are about 80 downhomes.. roughly 45 driveways.. and then sidewalks along the streets.. county takes care of the streets... i haven't bid anything like this before and am quite unsure how to.. i would like an x amount of dollars per month no matter what happens... november-march.. i charged $25 for a .5"-3" snowfall on regular residential drives last year but again, this is different as i'm sure they get a significant discount for having 45 drives in one place at one time... so i would like a little advice on what or how to charge this.. i live in northeast kansas if that helps.. also in a college town with a pop 0f 50,000.. half of that is students

also.. i would like to know any other equipment i need.. currently i have a 96' f150 2wd with a toro 2450 snowblower... there were several new possibilities i was thinking of..

a) buy a new truck.. something like a 01' Ext cab 1500 silverado, z71 4x4.. put a nice plow on that and put a couple snowblowers in the bed with a couple extra guys in the truck..

b) keep my current truck and just do the division with a crew of guys and snowblowers..

c) whatever you guys say i should do..

any help would be greatley appreciated...

also.. how many people/equipment is needed to take care of this efficiantly as well as other random jobs throughout the city..

2. Avery Landscape

from 5

ok... so i've done some thinking on this and here is what i came up with...

i think i will purchase an 01'ish chevrolet silverado 1500 z71 4x4 crew cab LT

Put 3 guys in the truck along with me...

Put four toro 2450 snowblowers in the bed...

Figure one guy can do one drive in 15 minutes..

4guys X 4drives/hour = 16 drives per hour

$25/drive X 16 drives = $400/hour

$15 X 3labor = $45

Total Profit/hour = $345

I think that this set up will suit me very well as i don't have any work that requires the use of a plow and then i don't feel like trashing this new pickup or dealing with all the damages i will cause by using the plow..

As far as bidding goes here's what i think..

There's 45 drives right?? and then sidewalks to and from..

I normally charge $25 for a reg snowfall drive (0-3)

so then i'm gunna add another $5 to cover larger snowfalls and the sidewalks..

So $30 X 45 = $1,350

For my fixed contarcts i am figuring 4 services per month

This comes to $5,400..

but then you think that they deserve a large discount because of the fact its all inone area.. and yea..

so i'm thinking 25%???

which discounts $1,350

For a grand total of... $4,050 per month

Nov.-Mar. = 5 months

$4,050 X 5 = $20,250 For The Season

...but then each home pays $50 per month for maintenance.. 80 homes, this comes out to $4,000..... so maybe I'm high??

let me know your opinions!

Thanks in advance, Aaron

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Lawrence KS?

4. Avery Landscape

from 5

Manhattan, KS

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have 45 driveways and you are doing 16/hour, do you have guys willing to get out of bed, in the middle of the night for $45. I think you are right with the snowblower. It will do a better job then the truck. Remember that you have to come back after the street plow has been through.

6. Avery Landscape

from 5

these guys will be working 8-12 hours... i will have another 30 drives i will be maintaning for various residents and i will more than likely have to hit that development up twice..

i'm still needing help with knowing where i stand on the bidding..

I came up with $3,375 per month for 5 months