1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town to try sidewalk plowing this year.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 15, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sidewalk plowing set as a pilot project

Amherst property owners along part of Maple Road and Niagara Falls Boulevard will likely have their sidewalks plowed by the town free of charge this winter.

As part of an ongoing effort to create sidewalk snowplowing districts for property owners living along major roadways with hard-to-clear sidewalks, Supervisor Barry Weinstein said he wants the town’s Highway Department to plow sidewalks on Maple Road between Millersport Highway and Transit Road, and Niagara Falls Boulevard between Kenmore and Betina avenues.

“This is a pilot project just for the winter of ’11-’12,” Weinstein said.

The plan will go before the Town Board next week.

The town had originally hoped to bid out the work to private contractors but only received a single bid from one contractor that offered to plow the Niagara Falls Boulevard stretch for $2.97 per linear foot, Weinstein said. The town wanted to keep its costs under $1 per foot.

Weinstein said he’s allocating about $25,000 to the Highway Department for the hiring of up to four part-time employees, plus the costs of new equipment, which would be amortized over a 10-year period, he said. He estimates town sidewalk plowing costs at about 50 cents per foot.
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Were you the only one to bid on it.

3. grandview

Not me. Just sounds like a lot with either price.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I know you get more snow on average than we do but I could keep sidewalks clear all season for $1/foot. That works out to $5k per mile which is unheard of in my neck of the woods.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I would buy a couple of those Bombardier sidewalk plows and gladly work for $1 per foot.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

GV, was that the price for the season or per event?

7. grandview

It didn't say. I'm thinking for the season.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It's gotta be seasonal. Who wouldn't plow for $1/foot if it were per push? I wouldn't even plow parking lots if I could get paid like that for sidewalks.
  9. grandview

If they including equipment and labor over 10 years that's 2500 for the season.
  10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

nothing is free in amherst.....they are trying to cover their butt because of the fatality lawsuites
  11. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

In my town in MA they do all the sidewalks as soon as a storm ends. they usually use an old sidewalk plow with a V blade on it and then they run 2 bobcats with blowers on them that go around and blow all the sidewalks that have already been cleared by the plow. it takes them at least a week to get it all done.