1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town Sent Out Warning Letters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nor'easter1, Dec 26, 2003.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

For the first time in 9 years of plowing residential driveways, the director of public works sent out a mass mailing to home owners abot illegal snow removal from property. Only two plowable events so far this season and the town is "taking charge." It seems us contractors are impacting the ability of the town's crews to clear roads. I will admit there are alot of hacks out there who push into the street and take off and I guess we will all pay now. Reason I do not like the letter is it was sent to home owners address which puts them in panic. They call me and say will this impact the job you do for us, and I tell them no. The only thing it changes is my ability to stack snow on unique properties and brings into play alot of potential damages comes spring to bushes, stone walls, pavers etc.. I called the public works director personally to discuss this letter and he was very fair saying the few create this problem for the masses. I told him if it such a problem he ought to get his butt out of his chair during cleanup and drive around finding the bad contractors doing this work and nail them insted of sending the town folk who know nothing about what we do and putting the fear of fines into them. The thing I find so interesting is never heard or seen of this letter in all my years of plowing in my town.
  2. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

every year on our town cable I had warnings posted for those plowers that low across roads and leave piles/trails.. It does creae horrendous nightmares and most plowers around here could care less. TO vote in a by-law, then have Boston Ag's office approve it, is another night mare. I've had so many near fists fights over this it isn't funny. Yu may think leaving trails is harmless and 11 foot plows go through them like a hot butter knife. You are very wrong to think this. It does, and depending on the storm circumstances, it will force an 11 ft plow across the road instantly. It happens frequently and the drivers hope no oncomming vehicles.
  3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

IT has all ways been illegal to push snow in to the road. It on take a minute or to to clean up the road if you do get any in it so I don't see what the big deal is. Put that on the cable TV here but it more to tell the people after the plows have plowed not to shovel the pile the road plows mad at the end of their driveways and to shovel it to the right side
  4. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

After running a highweay dept in a town that is like little San Fransisco, up and down hills, tremendous water run off problems, and such, Yes, I think it is a very big deal. For one, the small plowers usualy wait until we're done. Then, they leave these large wind rows of snow across the roads. In the process of doing this, they also take all the sand right off the road. It means we cocme back and come back and it is never ending, It doesn't ahve to be this way if the small plowers did their job. THey are also the first to scream, (those that live in town) why taxes go up because snao and ice removal is higher thatn it should be. I have always stopped and talked to a plower THE FIRST TIME and explained what I expected. Even if they plow into the street, I rather them plow it into our windros and not across. This saves a lot of extra sandng and cleanup. If this town had some level roads and more improtatnly, trees cut back so sun can do it's thing, I may have had a different light on the subject, however these options are not available so you work with what you have.
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

well in my county (since i live in the country) the truck drivers turn the blade straight before they get to your drive and then dump all that snow they were collecting with it stright at your drive...i love it...because my dad works as the mechanic there...and i hate all the a**holes that push it/onto the sides of the road or even across....everyone ahs some room in their yard for the snow to go...screw the grass.:realmad:
  6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I plowed for the town for many years. I to had problems with contractor leaving snow in the just cleared streets. Most of the times I would stop to talk to them first which usually fix the problem for that year at least. I have had a few that started a fight and I had to call the cops because they started to beat on the town truck with a bat. As long as guys clean up the runoff snow in the streets there usually no trouble. Its the guys that don't care that ruin it for everyone else.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if it's just laziness or these people just don't know any better. I plowed last night and I watched a guy put a bunch of snow in the middle of the street. He opened an entrance that was about 3 lanes wide he pushed snow straight into the street. Then back dragged it to spread it out. He left a patch 10 feet wide by 20 feet long of 3" deep snow on a salted main street. He went to that much trouble, why not just angle the plow and shoot it back onto the side of the road?
    How would this guy like it if his wife came down the road and hit that snow and went out of control.
    It's a $75 Ticket in most towns and city's around here.
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Its late , its snowing you are driving down a road and your blade is 6 in off the ground , its angled to the right and YOU hit that pile of snow in your truck , you wake up in a ditch across the road , your truck has taken major damage . It happened to a good friend last year . If you plow across the road definatly clean up your piles .
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I know it's illegal to plow across streets but why does all the city workers have the idea they can push THEIR snow wherever they want.?:angry: I think we should all gang up and plow in all the city trucks so they can't complain.:D :waving:
  10. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

A friend of mine's brother worked for the town... well, I believe it was last year or so... someone had pushed the snow during the day onto the street... well he was out plowing that night when it refroze.... the truck hits the snow pile... he hits the roof of the truck... and hit it hard enough that he injured his spine... was out of work for a year... a little rehab and I guess other things... but did do damage to himself.... so ... there can be more to just pushing the snow out into the street than it looks.... since he was out for a year... town would not take him back....

so 1 bad contractor... lost a guys livelihood

just my .02

the quite one lately!!!
  11. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

I got my plow to do the driveways at home. My dad has a good size drive.

What I like to do after I clear the driveways is clear the whole street before the city plows come around. Its a really cool thing to see, we have the only street in the neigborhood with very little snow on it. And the niegbors like it when I do it cause I throw less at the end of their driveways. Then whe the city trucks come through they still have their blade down still getting a little up. But the salt is able to work faster on our street.

Now my understanding is you are allowed to make your first pass into the street, but after that you must clear what you put in the street right away.
  12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

City / town workers can push snow any place they want with in reason, what ever it takes to keep All public roads clear for emergency and public use and safety. Roads are to be kept clear and NO person is to push snow into the road for any reason. By law you can be fined.
  13. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

When I was in the hwy dept, we didn't have and still don't, anything like sidewalks or other concerns. A very hilly, up and down, lot's of water type problem. The bottom line is, by law, the twon trucks will move snow wherever feasible for reasons of public safety.
  14. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I have noticed that a lot or guys here will back drag driveways out into the street, then try to feather the snow out in the street. I have seen many people get stuck exiting their driveways into the deep piles. It is just common sense for us to remove the snow from the street that we put there. Most of the time, the city has already plowed, and it looks obvious that the plower didn't care enough to finish the job. It only takes a minute to move the snow out of the street to the side, what's the big deal? And to me, there is no point wasting time plowing the entire street unless I am getting paid for it, I have too many paying jobs to do that. Then if the city plows a driveway entrance in, I can go back and get paid for that too, without feeling guilt that it should have been done by me in the first place.
  15. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I have always been verycarefull about the streets. I see a lot of home owners around me snowblow straight into the street. This is just as bad as plow contractors doing it.

It makes no sence, you get paid to plow a driveway, then you leave a huge patch of snow on the street?? so the person who's driveway you plowed now gets stuck in the street instead of his driveway?

I caught a trail left by someone, spun me 90 degrees.. luckily the plow hit the gaurdrail, and threw me straight again. I was saying some words to that person!
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Im down in southwestern ct i didnt get any notices and if i did id tell them to shove it city guys and state are major dollars to work but iys ok when they your mail box or leave big holidays in the middle of the road
  17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

myself- I usually back drag adrive to the street then push it off to the right side over the curb-- this way not only the drive is clean but the street in front of it.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I ask my people where they want the snow. If they say the street I tell them no. I try to push into the woods but never block the street. I think thats looking for trouble!
  19. crazymike97

crazymike97 Junior Member

i have a very small lot that doesn't have any room to pile snow on the property.so across the street it goes.if i can i push it out of the main drive and stack it along side the end of the drive.

i see nothing wrong with pushing it across the street as long as you clean up your mess.when i mean clean i mean spotless no snow anywhere.sometimes i plow the whole street in front of the area im working at.hell i plow the whole street in front of my house.i go right up to the edge of the curb and do the entrance all nice nice.about 7 passes at 300 yards each
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I ride with the plow Rt angled all the time. I see a big pile of snow a home owners shot into the street I drop the plow and put it back! ( if their not still outside )Most of the people I see that shoot it into the street have the adjustable shoots on their blowers. They must just be too lazy to change the aim. This one idiot in my neighborhood shoots it out onto a nasty hill. I have trouble navigating it in 4 wheel sometimes. I could not imagine a 2 wheel drive trying it.