1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

town requires homeowners sidewalks shoveled.........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Whats your take on towns that require homeowners to shovel their sidewalks, or have their snow plow guy do it for them. My take is it opens the plow guy for future slip and fall suits on public property. The towns can fine the homeowner x amount for not doing it, and on the flip side I can see the snow plow guy getting dragged into a slip and fall claim.

2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We are big time into sidewalks here! We charge as much per hour as for plowing. We have ins coverage for potential slip and falls, same as apt complexes, and retail businesses. The mistake I see too many make is not charging accordingly. Had a bid at a complex last year 4 city blocks of city walks, was bid a $40. Turned out that was a 18" path on a 4' wide walk. We ended up getting the complex in Jan.

My sidewalk guy's make $18 to $22 an hour + the $4 bucks an hour for my end of taxes. They earn every penny!

3. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

....but if the homeowner is paying you, and its not legally his property(but he's being forced to, or be fined)....the town will be sued, and you will as well. Its a Pandora's box that's yet to play out in court. You know damn well the town will be pointing to you, and I'm wondering what your ins co. will be doing, because again......its public property.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Not sure in most states, but Mo/Ks it is the responsibility of the property owner within x number of hours. It is the owners ins liability also and in turn mine if I am negligent.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty common here as well. Matter of fact, we work for management companies and service vacant rental properties that need the city walks done within 24 hours. City of Minneapolis gets pretty nasty with rental property owners when the sidewalks aren't shoveled. No more liability doing a city walk than any other walk.