1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town Removing My Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rpainetfd, Jan 26, 2009.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I have two commercial lots that I plow, sand, and do snow removal. Snow removal is on an as call/ as needed basis. Both owners decided to wait until next week, after the upcomming snow, to have the snow removed, to get the most out of their money. I was fine with that. Today the town highway dept. decided the snow was obstructing the view of trafic and moved it themselves. They went on private property and removed snow, my snow. Now I loose the job, and they have set an aweful precedent. What would you guys say to the town?
  2. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I Am Pretty Sure That Along With That Service That They Provided WILL COME A BILL.Most Likely to The Property Owner.Just Be Grateful That The Decision to Wait Was Not YOURS!!!!!!
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How deep was this snow if it was obstructing the view of traffic!!!???
  4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

How was the town supposed to know what your plan was? Did you tell them?
  5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

There probably is an ordinance on snow in commercial lots, perhaps they had a few complaints or they were just trying to set and example that people need to keep there lots clean. Luckily it wasn't your call to wait because they will be getting a very steep bill. I know alot of towns around me give you 48 hours to remove the snow before they will do it for a price. The average residential sidewalk goes for $60, if they have to do it.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya there isn't much you're going to do, you aren't going to win with a town.
  7. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

I can not believe the laws you poor guys down there in the states have to deal with! From homeowners having to clear the sidewalk that the town installed (which is unbelievable) to town's telling business owners they have to remove their snow pile! Its a pile of snow for god sakes, how can it impair line of site on the street when its in the parking lot. Someone else also stated in another thread that the homeowner is responsible for the cost of laying the sidewalk that goes through their property. Is that true??? If I were you RPAINETFD, I would go into the public works office and say something, thats unbelievable!!
  8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

idk about paying for the install of sidewalks, im pretty sure thats covered in your taxes, but ya they can go remove a snow pile if they decide that it's dangerous and could cause a liability concern.
  9. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

Unbelievable, they can just walk onto private property and do as they please? Not in my parts! What happens if they have an accident on your private property, who is liable then?? I can garauntee that they will not only send a bill for the snow removal but also the damages from their accident! I'd be fighting that one all day long. And if the cost of the sidewalks is covered by property taxes, (as all things municipally run are covered by property taxes) then so should the snow removal!! I find it obsurd that the muni mandates to you that a sidewalk is going in through your front yard and then lays the responsibility of clearing it on the homeowner. Just my opinion.
  10. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

The snow was not to the point that it obstructed normal view, not on sidewalks or protruding into roadways, just taking up some parking spots and making so people had to be alittle cautions exiting the lot. I know how my town works, they wont bill anyone. Lesson learned, next years contract will change snow removal on request to snow removal after x amount of inches.
  11. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

I would send the town a bill for loss earnings as they took your job!! Did they warn the property owner? or did they just walk in and do it? I would definently say something, if no warnings were given you may have a leg to stand on!!:realmad:
  12. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

The town I live in now is making everyone with a slightly raised sidewalk or if there is surface damage. They are forcing them to replace at the homeowners cost some people with corner lots are paying over $4000 for a new sidewalk. They told us this spring that it had to be done by this fall, talk about an unexpected expense. What I don't get is only one side of all of our streets have sidewalks, so if you live on that side you get stuck with the bill. Also a 1/4 of the town doesn't even have sidewalks and all the new developments aren't even putting in sidewalks, whats the deal :mad: I feel that the city should of hired a contractor to replace all the sidewalks and divide it up between every homeowner or the city should pay for it since they own it.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to maintain the first 10 feet of land across the front of my property, and that includes mowing, snow removal, and side walk repair, or replacement all at my expense, and the city owns the land. Last year I put all new sidewalks in, along with a new approach to my driveway. It cost me about 2,500 in materials, and I paid my own crew to do it at a cost of another 1,000. I fought with the city, and got nowhere. The worst part about was I had to install it to their specs, and even had to go buy a sidewalk bond to be able to do it.
  14. Kunker

Kunker Member

All I can say is wow...there's no way in hell that I'd ever pay to have a sidewalk put in for the city, I'd move first.
  15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'd bet that they own the right of way and can do this
  16. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

ONDIRTYMAX - guess what? we have the same laws here in parts on Ontario. In certain areas you have so many hours to clean the sidewalk in front of your home or you will get a fine. And depending on the location of the parking lot, yes snow that obstructs the view of drivers entering or exiting the parking lot or too close to a highway is illegal. It's not just the States, it is common sense.
  17. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

KSikkema - I wasn't implying that the states had no common sense, was just stating my opinion, and i agree with Kunker, I'd move before footing the bill for what the city wants, like installing or replacing a side walk, whether it was in the U.S. or Canada! JMO.
  18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Eggsactly what I was going to say. By the OP saying they had to be a "little" cautious when exiting. Push the snow in guys and there will be no piles at the end. :dizzy:
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Sidewalk here is installed, shoveled and maintained by the homeowner

And that is the way it should be

If the city pays for it the people still ultimately pay for it it just costs more yet and why would someone with a small lot want to subsidize someone with a huge/corner lot with alot of frontage
  20. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

That happen to me about 10 years ago at my residence, I live on a corner and plowed all the snow on the corner and it was about 6' high. The city came with a loader and dump truck and removed all my snow. The city official told me someone complain that it was unsafe to turn into my street because they could not see around the corner before turning. They threaten to charge me next time, If I pile that much snow on my corner again. I told them thats why I pay taxes for.
    The funny thing was last year we had so much snow the snow banks were 6-8 feet all over and they never removed any snow banks on the small streets.