1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town plowing....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I was asked to bid on small town for plowing NEXT season not this 2010/2011..... I told them I MIGHT be interested. After doing a search I think I have a good Idea, but thought I'd post this question anyway. It will have 30 miles of country roads with no sidewalks.... after the search it seems one truck for every ten miles would be a good starting point with one or two as a back up.....

What type of dump/trucks, plow (i've always used fisher) , sander (I've always used a 2-3cy but know I'd need ALOT bigger) would be good for this application..... As well as, given the 1 truck for 10 miles thing, what would be the estimated TIME needed to clear the town with lets say a 6 inch storm ........

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a good sized landscaping company down here that does our rural town, and some state road plowing. I think he said he can service about 20 miles with each truck. Plus you need a backup. Not a truck that does other stuff you can pull, but a dedicated, unassigned, backup truck.

They use GM 5500 4x4, 10 foot or so poly blades with adjustable mold boards, plus wings in the six foot neighborhood. They appear to be Fisher MM headgear/pushplates, with different moldboards. Pretty capable trucks, but they also have a tri-axle dump. They use it for plowing, but mostly for winging back and sanding. I think it's a 10-12 yard downeaster SS sander in there. Rumor is $40G to upfit the truck.

Talk to your insurance agent first. It's very expensive when you get into municipal plowing/sanding.

I think our town pays about $5k/mile for plowing, sanding/sand is extra.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Might be different in Maine but in Mass all you need is a 3/4 ton truck or larger. My friend did it with a 96 F350 Powerstroke with a 9' blade and had a decent sized route. He said he'd top out at about 10mph in most storms so its slow going.

In my town its two trucks, one of them is a 1 ton dump with spreader and a 9' blade. The other is a large dump that is about 50 years old and loud as hell.

Oh yeah, all fisher.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Difference between "need" and what will do the job year in year out.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

municipal plowing

In New York Sate they have relieved the counties of plowing the state roads and paying for that service.
    They have single axle trucks and travel at 30-35 miles per hour with the plows and wings.
    and do it all with one truck in the specific district so I dont see where you need three trucks.

The roads are in better condition, and no salt is wasted for sure.

A 4 wheel drive Mercedes Unimog with a Schmidt adjustable blade plow with a wing mounted on the plow,
    a sander or a towed sander from an Irish manufacturer- I do not remember their name right off hand would
    work very well. they use a lot of Unimogs in Europe for plowing mowing etc.

The Unimogs have an adjustable sliding operators station option that would let the operator position the
    steering wheel on the left or right to aid in line of sight work.

You might be able to summer work by mowing ditches too as they are faster than tractors with mowers.

A boom mower mounted on a Unimog can cover a lot of territory quickly and also mow ditches without getting
    stuck or trapped and wedged in a drainage ditch. I witnessed this yesterday on one of the state roads where
    the new mower was nosed into the ditch to the point where it had 2 wheels in contact with the ground on the
    opposite corners with the other wheels in the air and almost tipping on its nose.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

He's been doing it with the same truck, same plow for 4 years. Just "upgraded" to a 2005 F250 Diesel and a 8' MM2. The 9 footer was a MM1 hydraulic setup run off the motor. He ran a Rubber cutting edge on it. Never had a problem, year in year out :)
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get 3 Ford 8000 with plows, wings, and sanders IMO. They are a very comon truck so they are easy to get parts for. From what I hear the Fords don't rust out as fast as the Internationals. Alot of people like the dump bodies that tip forward, but the ones with the tailgate sanders work good to. It's alot cheaper to buy trucks that are allready set up than buying a truck and setting it up your self. You shouldn't use any thing smaller than a 1 ton with a 9' plow and a 9' wing IMO.
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

When you say 30 miles, how is it split up? Is it 2 or 3 roads or is it 15 different roads? That will make a huge difference in what type of trucks/how many trucks you will need. Clearing intersections can be time consuming and best done with a pickup usually.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

..............................What my town uses.

town truck.jpg
  10. mercer_me

I think he's looking to make money not loose money.
  11. grandview

He didn't say anything about making money. I thought he just wanted to look good for the ladies while plowing!
  12. mercer_me

Ya, the women in rural Maine just flock to the streets when it's snowing to se the plow trucks. What's he going to say? "Hey baby lets go for a ride in the plow truck."
  13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What????...They use Fisher Plows...Those FOOLS!!!!!....:gunsfiring::gunsfiring::laughing:
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I keep telling them......:D
  15. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Check out S A McLean in Limerick, he's got TONS of used municipal style equipment. I'd like to go there on a field trip someday!! Good luck on your endevor. Get a six wheeler, 11 fooot Hi-way front plow and a 9 foot wing, 8 yard sander with either a pony motor or run it off of the central hydraulics if so equiped(truck that is). I imagine that the roads you will be plowing are dirt. They tend to freeze up more often that pavement, at least the one I live on does!!
  16. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

at least your towns use a decent plow most of the towns by me use meyers on mostly fords,but they have those big internationals with plows and salters too.
    they also have f350-550 size trucks i guess for were the big trucks cant get into.
  17. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

snowbankr mcclean's is very cool he has a lot of stuff from junk to new well worth the trip
  18. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

He will probably say " Hey baby, nice tooth!, wanna ride in my plow truck?"
    Sorry, couldn't resist a good Maine, nice tooth comment.
  19. mercer_me

20. grandview

If she would pull that last tooth out,she'd be the perfrct date while plowing because you would have to worry if you hit a bump in the road!