1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town or State or Self

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenbean, Nov 28, 2005.

1. greenbean

greenbean Junior Member
    from Ma

Which is the most productive money wise ??I have tried self employment.. Now am trying town employment..

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Generally -

Working for the Town or State you will make more dollars overall.

Working for yourself you will make more dollars per hour.
  3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Really depends on how you are set up. We like to keep a decent mix of Residential, Commercial/Industrial, and Municipal. :cool:
  4. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i found it is easier and a ton less stress going with the town that you live in

1) You get paid by the hour
    2) You never have to chase them for money cause they are usually quick to pay cause they want you out there for the next big storm
    3) You dont have to deal with PITA customers
    4) Sometimes they feed you
    5) Truck doesnt seem to take as much of a beating... depends upon what kind of equipment they pair you up with

its work out a lot better for me, i hate chasing customers for money
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on your specific circumstances, check with you're locality. Most places are already contracted by now.

My city requires exorbanant liability coverage from all contractors, and unless they're desprit or you have very good connections you need an F550 size (minimum) or bigger truck or backhow/wheel loader with blade AND in-bed sander to even be considered. (plowing even a single piece of provate property while on route is cause for contract termination, all contract payment forfeture, and possible litigation too). Plus you have to wait until atleast March to START getting payed. If you're truck breaks down you get 1 excuse, miss 2 events and you're terminated.

Plowing for the State here you have to waite until June to start getting payed, they will hire 1 ton pickups but have limited uses for them so you may be driving an hour to the state DPW garage to punch in then another hour to the route beginning. A friend used to plow the state with his F350- all he did was toll pike on and off ramps- getting on and off at each ramp plowing it- for about 1/3rd the legnth of the road which runs the legnth of the state. Reasonable money if you can get it and can put up with the late payment.

Plowing myself I get payed within 30 days of when I bill, I choose my customers, and I choose my route.
  6. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I plow for my local town, Get paid in 3 weeks and plow my home area.
    Works great for me.:waving:
  7. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

I plow for my town, paid in 2-3 weeks, no stress of chasing down people. 2500HD with an 8' blade. Lots of work, usually longer than the bigger trucks doing the smaller muni lots and schools. I think I could make more doing driveways or at least the same but much more stress. Plus I only need to meet minimum insurance levels on the truck, no need for a seperate liability policy.

8. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

For those of you that plow for your town/city are you being placed in a truck or using your own?
    If being placed in a truck do you have a cdl for the bigger rigs or you driving clean up trucks?

9. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We run our own trucks and usually have a 4wd and a 6 wheeler running piggy back per zone that we cover. Of course CDL would depend on what gvw truck you are in. :cool:
  10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

11. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

I have everything from a 1/2 ton p/u truck to a large 6 wheeler on with my town and I love it. Have spent alot of time (and transmissions) in parking lots and I will never go back. They call me out early, let us stay out late doing all the town bldgs after the storm and best of all I get paid in FULL in 7-10 days depending on what day the storm falls on. And someone said earlier that sometimes they feed you too, food always tastes better when it's free and eaten on the clock...
  12. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Self/ municiple or state--I am plowing just for the town this year and have only about 12 local driveways to do. Your truck doesn't nearly work as hard if you were self employed, but you wind up with about 1/2 the money, but little aggravation. It really depends on the municpality you plow for, some are out there chasing you and others leave you alone. The state is the state--if you need money in the summertime and can afford loaning them you gas money the pay is okay.

Have fun! Think Snow!