1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Town of Brookhaven on Long Island

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by L.I.Mike, Feb 24, 2013.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

So the town took a beating from the residents for not getting the job done during the Blizzard. Now they have decided to fix the issues that went wrong by paying subs more money ( they were paying 55 an hour) and relaxing the high insurance you needed.

Lets have some real world advice from the people who know what they would like plowing roads for a town. More money is nice, so what would you want?ussmileyflag

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I get 80/hr for my pickup doing condos. I can't imagine the abuse roads would put on a truck, so i don't think i would take any less unless i was guaranteed a minimum number of hours regardless of snowfall

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

we couldnt start a truck for that change , dang . must really be hard up .

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You need to go seasonal and charge per lane mile.

5. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

The going rate around here is approximately $2,000/km for the season (2-lane suburban streets). Our season is a lot longer than yours - I guess we go out about 25 times in an average winter (4-cm trigger, drifting, etc.). Oh, that's for a 6-wheeler (International 2500 or equivalent) equipped with a 12-foot front plow and an 11-foot side wing. No salting.

And, $5 million liability insurance.

6. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

They were paying $55.00 hr six years ago. Don't know what your pushing with but the minimum they pay is $62.00 and that's for the lightest truck and plow. Give them a call and check your rate. Most get between $70.00 and $80.00 hr.. Raises are going to Heavy Equipment along with trying to get GPS for all subs.
    The issue I have with them is the fact that the Deputy Supervisor came out in Newsday and said that, and I quote " Your not going to get through this storm with a pickup truck and a mundane plow." Then went on to say "In a storm of this size, you can't be dealing with rinky-dink equipment." This is a direct insult to the subs that did a better job then any employee. With out the subs and the "Rinky-dink and mundane plows" the roads would still be closed. Thanks Daniel Panico for those kind words.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I dont plow for brookhaven, I plow for Islip and have no complaints or issues with them. I want to know what you would likeplowing roads for a town.

8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

CrookHaven. There was a while were the main LI newspaper refered to that town government for years. Whether Rep's or Dem's. Seemed there was always a photo in the paper with some town gov official with some new wrist jewelry.

I think a combination of the town not paying enough then rasing the required insurance big time chased away a lot of their sub's.

I live in Islip. I hardly ever see a town truck on residential streets anymore. It's always some beat up looking old 1/2 ton pickup with an old looking beat up plow doing my street.

Both so beat up that it looks to close to call as to which will die first the plow or the pickup.

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We pay our contractor $105/hr and we provide the salt.
    No guarentees at all. Their contract is for 2, 5-yard trucks with a minimum of 10ft plow and spreader. If I call them they work, no call, no work.

10. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

I thought on LI you guys get a higher rate ? Most towns my way start at $65 on up for a 8' blade 3/4-1 ton pickup. Bigger plow more money. That supervisor is a typical pencil pushing desk jockey "rinky-dink truck with a mundane plow" he can catch a case of "gofuckyourselfitis:salute:" We had no problem what so ever keeping up with the blizzard, never lost a road due to 3"plus an hour snow, pushing back was a b!tch but got done ussmileyflag

11. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

My thoughts exactly!! Lets see how the next storm, if we get one, plays out.

12. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

The cost of a town truck going down the road is more than $100/hr...and the town will never pay an honest rate to a sub...but since most towns know guys have another job and plow for extra money when it snows they'll have a line of guys waiting to plow no matter what the pay.

I think the best solution for everyone would be to bid out sectors in the town to private contractors and let the contractor be responsible for it. They would run their crews with additional back fill from subs. I think it would be more accountable, more efficient...would save the town money and would most likely put more money in the crews hands.

13. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Not so sure about the "Line of guys waiting to plow." My area lost about 10 to 15 trucks. Lots of guys sold there trucks for econo boxes and others went to the newly created village. The big boys with ten wheelers bailed a few years back when they had to wait four months to get paid. To add insult to injury, no increase in pay rates in four years.

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Mack, I think overall on the private side - definitely, but $55/hour is the Town submarining us! Goes back to the post about guys doing it for beer money bringing down the rates...almost wonder about some type of group/association/union to control rates and keep rates higher...but that would be so hard to control (also residential vs commercial). Then here, we have brigades of migrant workers with shovels literally clogging the streets doing mile long driveways for pennies...thats an entirely different issue though.

16. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

We tried getting an association together over the past 2years only got about 5 guys to show up...

17. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

That's crazy, you got to blame the retards that would drop there blade for that, hell I woudn't get out of bed for that :eek:

18. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

My truck would not move for 55 an hour. Guy across the street was making 65 an hour clearing parking lots. Good point about some of the people that plow, get a tough storm and their equipment is not up to the task. This blizzard I was told by one of the town guys many people went home because they were breaking down or getting stuck all the time. There was a time if you needed something welded or a quick fix the town depot you worked out of would help. Not any more and no welders are open around here at 3 am.

19. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Might be a good idea to try once more Im up for it if any Long Island guys are

20. v6rs97

v6rs97 Junior Member

I go with Babylon. F250 4x4 8 ft blade gets 74. They pay the helper another ten. I took offense to that town guy with therinky dink equipment. I got through all night. Got stuck on a few roads but we got our streets clean by morning