1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

town of brookhaven, ny insurance reqiuirement

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by enosez, Nov 16, 2011.

1. enosez

enosez Junior Member

Anyone else out there frustrated with the Town of Brookhaven (Crookhaven) NY insurance requirement change.

I went to drop off my paperwork by the due date and I'm informed that the town has a new insurance requirement.

All certificates of insurance must include "includes all snow plowing activities".

Well my truck isnt registered as commercial so on my policy I cant get that endorsement..

GOOD WORK CROOKHAVEN!!!!

Good luck this year, hope its not a snowwy year as most contractors dont have commercial insurance.

Anybody else seeing this???

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

if you have one what do you care about anyone else? Not it's up to the town to enforce it or just collect money from the permits like most towns.

3. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

You use your truck for snow plowing commercially and its not registered as a commercial vehicle and you complain about the city actually wanting you to be legal?
    Are you going to complain that some dumb a$$ is suing you and your insurance will not pay when you get into an accident heading to do commercial work in your improperly registered and improperly insured truck?

Perhaps some one here will feel sorry for you but I am not sure why you would even post your not legal and then complain about the township.

4. grandview

Read to fast, I thought it was registered as commercial,not isn't.

5. enosez

enosez Junior Member

NO YOU'RE NOT UNDERSTANDING!

Here you can be an owner/operator and dont have to be licensed commercially.
    There is/and was no requirement for only commercial vendors.

I'm not asking anybody to feel sorry for me nor am I complaining about not being legal. You are not understanding.

6. grandview

First you need to know,no matter what State your in you need to have commercial truck insurance while plowing for money. And it must have snowplowing endorsement on it,That's what the town wants.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did you used to live in Erin Ontario Canada............?

8. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

:nod:

Really??? In Maryland or any municipality you better have commercial insurance i am sure its the same thing everywhere. they are just trying to keep there liability in check since you don't have commercial insurance and if something happened, who do you think it will fall back on?

9. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

As far as i understand here on long island you always needed commercial insurance for plowing with any town, If not your just asking for trouble by not having it one accident and your life is ruined by lawsuits always better safe then sorry

10. grandview

We are assuming he is plowing town roads. He might be just getting a plow permit like a lot of places have now and he just needs to show proof of insurance.

11. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I've have seen plenty of guys plow for towns around me without commercial plates.

12. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

No plow permit exists in Brookhaven. Thing is the Town of Brookhaven pays lower rates than most private companies. They may have not been so critical of insurance requirements in the past. Just happy to find plow owner/ drivers that are willing to work cheap then wait to get paid. Ultimately, no auto insurance co. will cover damage once a plow is on the truck. I put in a collision claim after first installing a plow on my personal truck. After the adjuster came out, I received notification that the policy was canceled for using the truck in a commercial purpose.I Had to add it to my commercial policy with the other trucks.

13. grandview

So you don't want to get insurance.?

14. turfbuilders

turfbuilders Junior Member

I would have to disagree with working cheaply for the town. I run 4 trucks for them and seem to be treated pretty good. I get a bunch of hours, get called out every storm and yeah may have to waited a little while for the money. You just to need to plan for it but at least I don't have to worry if I am going to get paid.
    Brian

15. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

That could be the case. I have not plowed for Brookhaven. I have spoken to a few guys that do , and from what I could figure they were earning about 20-30 /hr less than in the private plowing market. The number of hours they plow may make it worth it. Some members on this site have made complaints of waiting more than 60-90 days for payment from Brookhaven.

16. turfbuilders

turfbuilders Junior Member

yes it is true that you will may not make as much money as working privately, and yes the hours do make up for some of it. It is a different animal and if you can wait usually 45-60 days for payment, it can be profitable. I do know that getting in that I won't get paid right away, but I am ok with that and plan accordingly. I also have a couple of trucks that plow privately so that helps and at I one point I only plowed privately. I got tired of chasing money with the town you will get paid and that is something that I don't have to worry about. Everybody is different and this is an avenue that I am happy to go down.
    Brian

17. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I plow for the Town of Islip as a contractor. My truck does not have commercial plates but I follow their rules on insurance and never had a problem.

18. enosez

enosez Junior Member

Me too LI Mike..
    Thing was that a couple of storms Islip didnt call in yet Brookhaven did, so I figured I put my name in there too..

19. enosez

enosez Junior Member

Insurance

Look, I'm not an insurance agent.
    I get the paperwork from the town asking for certain documents.
    Insurance being one of them.
    No where does it say commercial insurance.
    I pass along that request to my insurance agent who is fully aware of what I'm doing and I get a certificate of liability.
    I submit it to the town and never had a problem till now.

For those that dont know, the Town of Brookhaven or Crookhaven as it is known does things.......lets just say a little different.

20. grandview

If your plowing for money anywhere you need truck insurance. And I see you have GL.What is the big deal about getting what you should have for this business your in?