1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

town homes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nathan281, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Nathan281

Nathan281 Junior Member
    from MN

I have a bunch of town homes to do with 20 foot long drive ways that go to a 7 foot wide alley. I tried to get the 3/4 ton in their HAHA that will never work. So I was thinking to put a plow on the Ranger it’s a 2002 4.0 v6 4X4 Super cab. Was thinking of going with the sno way because their will be a lot of back pulling I see other people on here are using different plows and are happy with those but that seems to be the best. Should I even try and put a plow on this small of a truck or just use a snow blower?

I called a dealer near by he said it would hold up fine and he wanted 4500 installed I have been searching around and most seen to be paying 3500 is he trying to get too much out of me?

I have all ready done the search just looking for other opinions

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I used a Ford Bronco with a Fisher 7.5 for many years. Put about 500 Lbs. of ballast in the back. It worked fine. Just had to beef up the front end a bit so it could handle the plow. Hey, some people put plows on their Jeep CJ's. The little trucks such as the Ranger, Bronco, etc. are fine for the little jobs where a 3/4 ton pickup is just too big. In fact, for small driveway work, etc., I prefer a smaller, shorter truck. Just make sure you have proper ballast and good tires. Smaller trucks can have quite the advantage sometimes. For example, one of our apartment houses has a ***** of a driveway because the private road is only 18 feet wide with a beautiful stone wall across from the driveway that I don't want to hit. My new truck is roughly 19 feet long which should make it interesting. On the other hand, the Bronco was sooo short that it was a breeze to get in and out of a driveway like that. Also, your plow choice sounds good to me.

3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Alley Cats

For $4500 I would go get me a jeep CJ or TJ with leaf springs and a 4 way plow on it. There are plenty available in that price range. Keep it on the road in the winter, and off the road in the summer. No collision coverage on it , just get comprehensive in case it gets stolen or burns up by accident.

You can plow a townhouse fine with a jeep, even with the four cylinder engine if you use your low range in the transfer case.

You will be amazed at how agile, reliable and easy to use for jobs that size a jeep is And with the plow you can actually do sidewalks if you angle hard right or hard left.

Plus this gives you a back up truck and plow, not just a new plow, in the event your main machine breaks down. Jeeps plow fine, and have been doing so since after world war II, back about 60 years ago.

:salute:

4. Nathan281

Nathan281 Junior Member
    from MN

I was thinking of getting another car but got too many as it is.

I was hoping I could leave the front end alone the plow is like 300lbs am I really going to need to beef it up

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Why buy a new plow for it?
    I bet there are good used plows around that will fit a Ranger.
    I have a 6' Meyer that is on a Bronco II that worked great. I have maybe $1,200 in it with mostly new parts. Add timbrens and heavy duty shocks to carry the weight.
    I used the Bronco II for 4 years plowing mostly condo complex's,it worked great,but the body rusted off the frame. The Danna 28 Front axle would break a U-joint or shaft every season tho.
    If you go the small truck route upgrade your battery/charging and tran's cooling, the small trucks have the bare minimum systems from the factory.

6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Is the alley actually only 7' wide?? If so, even a small 6'9" plow will be tight.

I paid $3000 out the door fo a 6'9" fisher LD plow 2 years ago. $4500 is too high. Fresh install should run about $500 + cost of plow.

For a 7' wide alley, the jeep idea listed before is outstanding for this application.