1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

town/city banks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drh76, Nov 19, 2009.

1. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I am looking for advice on getting through the two and three foot solid snow banks the city makes, in the north east. I have a 1500 and straight blade 7.5. Last year I was a cupcake and shoved some out. Tried blasting through one, stoked I ended up on all four. There must be a happy middle?
  2. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

are you talking about the plow runnoff at the end of drives, sidewalks or what?
  3. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

The plow run off at the end of drives.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You need to take small bites out of it. And it sounds like you also need to go do your cleanups a little earlier.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good tires. Weight. Small bites. Don't wait too long to get in there to break it open. We only get a couple storms a year like that anyway. I'm guessing you're right in the city to get combings that tall. Around here the plows go fast enough to throw the snow back quite a ways.
  6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

ditto on both of what the other guys said, one thing i have done on some big runnoff piles is leave the plow up and start taking small bites, then lower it a little and keep doing that till it breaks up, if you waited till it got real hard, sometimes it just the outside layer that is froze hard, once you break thru that it gets easier
  7. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Small bites work well. Other things that have worked for me: Go full angle toward the main road- rather than trying to push all the snow into the drive at once. I also have a drive that is on a major road that has minimal traffic (other than 7am, 6pm). There, I have pulled up parallel to the bank, full angled toward the road and backed up to "hook" the big frozen chunks with the backside of the plow and pull them out of the way.
  8. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

basically it comes down to trial and error, snow isnt the same composition everywhere, so some methods will work much better than others.