1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing specs for my truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BSeery, Sep 8, 2002.

1. BSeery

BSeery Junior Member

I have a 1978 Chevy truck, 1/2 ton C/10. 350 4 barrel engine with 350 auto trans.
    I am looking to do some towing with it and can not find the specs on max towing weight.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a Haynes manual and they are not in there. I don't have the owners manual either.

I hope it can handle a 5500 lb trailer, but don't know.
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

is it a bumper mount or hitch

either way i don,t think its a problem but i would suggest a 2" hitch
  3. BSeery

BSeery Junior Member

Its a frame mounted receiver hitch.

I know what the hitch is rated for, but I want to find out what Chevy says the truck will handle, and maybe what you guys think it could pull.
    I don't want to put on a 5000 lb trailer, have Chevy say it will work, and then have the truck only doing about 20 mph up a hill and 95 mph down the hill.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It should pull it no problem. My father towed a 5000# boat for years with various Jeep Grand Cherokees without trouble, and that is a MUCH smaller truck.

As far as hills, your axle ratio will decide how fast you can go.

I know there are some trucks in your year range that had the ridiculously high (low numerically) rear axle ratio around 2.72:1

Now with THAT ratio, you'd have problems unless your were going downhill.