1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing skids/dump trailers with older trucks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Whiffyspark, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm changing things around for next year and going back into business myself. I'm planning to stick to cash only and was curious if anyone is towing a modern skid steer with 90's trucks. I know everyone used to, but the roads have changed and everything has only gotten heavier.

I'm looking at late 90 Chevys to early 00s super duties. I may consider another 2nd gen dodge if I can find something decent.

The plan is for a 14/16ft dump trailer over the summer and possibly a 50-60hp cab tractor or mid frame skid

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Don't understand why using a "older" truck would be a concern.

BTW trucks from the '90's aren't old.

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Why would an older truck do it any different?
    We still use a 99 f250 with 273k on it and a 97 Cummins and pull 28' goosenecks with 5k series tractors on them. No issues.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Less power, smaller brakes, frames, etc.

Anything older than 90s and I wasn't born yet. Therefore 90s = older lol

5. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Frames are as strong.
    Brakes are the same size for the most part.
    Power.... all power does is gets you moving faster. Doesn't mean you don't get to the same place just takes a little longer.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Seems like your stuck in the 90's, saying that the brakes and frames are just as good is pathetic, they are not even close

7. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I'm not very old, not even 30 in fact. Respect those trucks just like newer trucks.

The issue is the people driving them don't have the patience and responsibilities to handle an older truck and want the new truck to do it all for them.

The trailer will have brakes to help with stopping with a newer or an older truck.

How do you think they used to pull them in 1999 when we didn't have 400 hp diesels in pickups? Yeah. They used those trucks every day day in and day out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Really... you seriously can't compare late model with new models.. Im sure you can do everything your needing to do.. but a 15-20yr old truck being worked hard mite cost more to keep it running then a payment on something 4-5yrs old for a whole yr...

9. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

That wasn't the question posted. .......

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah but it's also a good point.

11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Na I'm dumb...

12. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Her is my 98, v10 under the hood, tows fine plenty of power. Trailer brakes and propery , balanced and they do fine. Although its not a diesel it still does the job.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-15-53-11.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

There are plenty very capable older (20-30) pickups with low miles and in good shape. Nice thing about older pickups is they're easy to work on, no special tools needed, parts are less money and available at any parts store.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I was just looking at your body style trucks. 10k for a regular cab with a 351? Insane IMO 7.3 are even more

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes that's too much.
    I bought mine 10yrs ago with 29K on it with a 8.5 Meyer and no rust for $6K, it now has 66K on it.

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

My dad had a 350 460 with dual tanks. Reg cab 8 ft bed. Dark green xl. I've looked for another for 10 years and haven't found anything close to reasonable.

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Go by the new truck, Maybe it will have brambo's on it you will be safe.LMAF

This discussion is all over this site, This is a on going topic. Some guys like new trucks, Some like built or reconditioned trucks. Some guys don't mind depreciation others will pass on it and keep reconditioning in your budget. Reconditioning is a fare tax advantage. Some guys think they look cool with new trucks. Others are more worried about specs. and performance.

Some guys think it's a tax advantage, Some guys will just will just pay in, Some will buy a piece of equipment instead.

I thought there was a vote on this somewhere?

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That's not my question. I'm well aware of all this.

My question is will an "older" ford or Chevy have issues when towing 10k pound loss. That's my question.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes they are very capable for pulling that weight and then some. The question is how often will you be pulling heavier loads? This will determine gas or diesel.

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Unless I can find a screaming deal im going to stick with gas. I'd like to go for a v10 in a 2000s truck. Gas is cheap and they're cheap to work on. We don't have much for hills. I'd like to find a cheap 05-07 6.0 but not having any luck