1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

towing numbers from Ford

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

The ads for the new F450 "pickup" got my attention when they said 24k towing. Checked Ford website and initially found it to be only around 16k. Hunted around some more and finally figured out they are talking fifth wheel towing. I wonder how many white collar wannabees are going to talk their wives into letting them buy this thing so they have the biggest pickup on the cul-de-sac. Wait until they buy a giant boat or RV and get out on the road with the rest of us.
    It's a pretty truck, but it is after all a medium duty, right? It just happens to look a lot like a pickup. I compared the numbers with Chevy 3500HD, although a 4500 would be the more obvious comparison. The Chevy is rated for 13k (hitch) and 16.5k (fifth wheel).
    What really makes me wonder about this whole thing is this: If you are towing 24k, then if your truck weighs more than 2,000 lbs, you need a class A CDL. Of course there are some exemptions concerning recreational vehicles like campers, but if you want to haul anything for work, you're in CDL country, and they don't tell you that.
    I was talking with a DOT cop recently and he told me they were beginning to target guys running 1 tons towing excavators, log trailers and such because they get up over 26k and don't even think they need a CDL. And of course a lot of those 1 tons shouldn't be pulling the 16-18k it takes to put them over anyway.
    Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there. Personally I'd rather have air brakes if I needed to tow 24k.
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that is one bad looking truck. the 16k raiting sounds about right, our f550 is rated at 17k and my gvw loaded towing is 39k. so i'm sure the 24k gvw will be no problem for that pickup. that truck kinda reminds me of the chevy kodiak pickup conversions only about $40,000 less and less hp.
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

Ford sure mentions "for applications like snow plows" a lot when talking about these new trucks.
  4. Detroitdan

My dually is too big for some of the driveways I plow, I'd hate to try to do them with that behemoth. I'm sure it would be fine for streets and parking lots, but sooner or later you'd bash up the rear fenders (like mine) and wish you had a dump body and narrow rear end. I've often thought how cool it would be to have a Kodiak crewcab, but then I come back to reality. It would be cool towing my big camper, until I got to the campground and couldn't get into a site. And driving it everyday would get old fast when I couldn't park it at the grocery store and took up two spaces at work.
    There's a guy near me with a 4wd crew dually F350, one of those multi-colored factory conversion van type packages, anyway he put 22.5 Alcoas on it. Looks almost the same as that F450 except for the fender flares and fender grilles.

I keep telling myself I'm not getting another dually when I'm done with this one. Too much hassle with the fenders getting hit, too many tires to buy and maintain, pita to change or rotate tires. It's nice for towing and hauling weight, but for the number of times I do that a 2500 HD would be ok. But then I see the 07 Silverade 3500 HD dually and I start drooling.
  5. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

FWIW, to pull a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000lbs or higher you need a class A CDL. It doesn't matter what the actual weight is, or what you are pulling it with.
    A class D (normal car license) is good for up to 26,000 lbs.
  6. Detroitdan

But only when the gross combined weight exceeds 26,000.
  7. Jay brown

A class D (normal car license) is good for up to 26,000 lbs.[/QUOTE]

only when you are hauling "non haz mat" or whenever you are driving a vehical designed to haul less that 16 passengers.
  8. Detroitdan

only when you are hauling "non haz mat" or whenever you are driving a vehical designed to haul less that 16 passengers.[/QUOTE]

Also true. Like I said earlier, there are a lot of guys out there working without the correct class of license. Tons of guys around here get a CDL-B with their 10 wheel dump truck, then go home and hook up their 20 ton deckover and put an excavator on it, and think they're okay because they got a license to drive that truck. And a more recent problem is the guys with their 1 tons and operators licenses hooking up to 18k trailers towing medium sized equipment or racecars or whatever and they don't even know they need a CDL. Now Ford is compounding the problem by pretty much telling these guys you can haul anything on wheels with a pickup truck.
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Ford doesn't have to, they are just saying what you can do with their new truck. You the consumer are ultimately responsible.
  10. Detroitdan

Well, you're probably right in a technical sense, but I think Ford should share in the responsibility for their marketing when some shmoe gets over his head with a commercial truck. Same as how I think the manufacturers (all of them) are partly responsible for the way they advertise their 4wds and Awds flying through the snow, blasting through snowbanks, passing plowtrucks etc. Then nitwit soccer mom and Joe home depot are out there thinking they don't need to slow down in the snow because their vehicle has such awesome traction. Ever notice the vehicles upside down in the ditch are mostly SUVs?
  11. Jay brown

i dont really see what the problem with joe blow getting a cdl to drive a pickup. they don't seem too hard to get, kinda like getting a regular class d licence, but a little more in depth. personally i don't have one yet, i just got my class a air brakes and combnation permit the knowlege test was a breeze, anyone could pass it.
  12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Question on the recreational aspect of towing / CDL.

I guess it pertains to the "Not for hire" you see plastered on some recreational rigs. Is this required to circumnavigate the requirement to have a CDL to operate? Seems like it is 50/50 if they have it or not.

I have seen a few of the Freightliner style campers and trailer combos that sure have at least 40k- 50k combined with this "Not for hire". Even more confusing is they have air-brakes. :dizzy:
  13. Jay brown

IMO there is no reason why a recreation vehical should be exempt if over 26k. kinda ticks me off that if your in the farming business or work for a farming business you don't need a cdl to drive a truck grossing 80k...... why not make us construction workers exempt too????? farmers feed and fuel america and we build it what's the difference. btw i'm not ticked at the farmer just the system.
  14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

In Mass, if the trailer is registered for more than 10,001lbs and is not a camper you are required to have a CDL to tow it. Sounds odd but for some reason iit's the law.
    I think 5th wheel campers your covered to 15000lbs
  15. Detroitdan

Campers and RVs are exempt, but I'm pretty certain the over 10,000 law only applies when the the gross exceeds 26,000. And it's federal law, not state. All states have to meet the federal standard, in fact all your motor carrier standards are federal law. As a NH P.O., I can't even enforce most of the motor carrier laws. I can weigh a truck, but I can't write him for medical card or log book stuff. I can write for operating without correct class of license (if they don't have an A) because it is also state law.
  16. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hey guys!! Most of the questions you have were covered in a previois thread. Check out Elements of Business- DOT, CDL Regulations. The "Not For Hire" is for private carriers not engaged ing commerce with their vehicles. It's to let the DOT man know that he's not supposed to need to look at certain things in regards to paperwork. It doesn't get you out of needing a CDL to drive.