1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

towing info. ????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by matthew Urban, Jan 14, 2002.

1. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

I am looking for towing suggestions.
    The company I work for has the following equipment.

JD 775 with loader and hoe
    Bobcat 751?(not sure on specific model)
    thomas mini-x T35s(3.5 ton)

We have the trailers to handle the load's, the debate here is what to haul them with?
    We currently have 2 dodge 2500's, a ford 250, and a gmc 1500 (mowing truck).
    We have a 5 yd dump trailer but in for my money it can be tough to back into certain places.

My thinking is to get a truck that can haul a machine(above) and or 5-7yds of mulch. Or a load of wall stone or pavers etc...
    what would you suggest?
    Also what trailer hitch, ball or pintle?
    thanks,
    matt

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

why not get a hook lift system with a small 20-25gvw truck.

3. matthew Urban

I'm pretty sure the boss doesn't want to go that big(20-25k
    ). One thing I should add is it wwoould be one machine at a time.

I was thinking F450, or F550.
    My thought was a one ton with the trailer/machine and a load of mulch or stone or what ever would be a bit much for any duration.
    matt

4. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

I would go with the F-550 4x4 powerstroke :D

5. matthew Urban

Thanks guys,
    boss, that was my thought too.

As I would probably be the one to do most of the hauling thats what I would be most comfortable with. (feel safer with)
    My boss's issue's are,
    $$$ up front vs. having it delivered. I say we can use it to haul materials to the job more easily as well. ( so we don't have to depend on somone elses delivery schedule).
    The psd seems to be an issue. He seems to be into the gas motors.(as thats what we have so far). I say what about resale w/ a psd, and fuel mileage.

I guess basicly what are the pro's and con's of the situation??

6. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

what you really need as mentioned above is a single axle dump, but you could get by with a one ton

7. matthew Urban

What I would like to see is at least an F350 dump body with the psd. Bigger, of coarse , wouldn't hurt.

My other question is ball vs pintle?
    Who has what and why?
    thanks again,
    Matt

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a big fan of pintle hitches. Maybe I'm paranoid, or just prefer everything heavy-duty, but I'd rather see that big ring on a trailer than the formed sheet-metal ball coupler.

I figure if a pintle hitch setup is good enough to use on big truck equipment (pup trailers on dump trucks, doubles/triples combinations and the big "turnpike doubles" seen in the Northeast, none of which I have seen using ball hitches) it's good enough for my little "toy" truck.

9. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Maybe GeoffD will jump in, but maybe an F650, or an International 4700 series would be the thing. A local mason has a 650 and pulls his mini ex/skidsteer around with it. If you want a 4x4, get a 550 but for the same price of a 450/550 you can get a nice F650. and with a bigger truck there's more towing capatcity, dump payload, etc if the business expands or does bigger jobs.

bryan

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like the pintle as well. It is very nice for pulling heavier trailers. However a downsid is that it is a loose connection. This means that is often has some jerking of the trailer and pulling vehicle.

For boat trailers and campers the ball connection means a much smoother attachment.

11. matthew Urban

Bryan,
    I hope GeoffD WILL jump in, at this point though, we are just a landscape co. I would like to talk the boss into limited (at least) snow removal for our existing client base.
    As I am into the snowplowing end on my own.(plowsite, a great thing))
    I see an oppurtunity to expand with my hands on experience, and his business experiance.
    All advice appreciated.
    thanks again,

matt

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Snow summed up the 650 really well. Thats it in a nutshell. if you have any questions that are detailed feel free to ask.

Geoff

13. matthew Urban

Geoff,
    what would the insurance increase be for a 550-650, vs a 350 dually?

Also, what in your opinion, would be the better option, more importantly why?

The last company I worked for had a ford model 1940? with loader and hoe, with all 1 ton's and an INT. S1600 dump so thats what I am used to.

My major concern is hauling a large amount of material/equipment to a job with what we have now.
    Secondarily, if we go and buy something I would like it to be usefull all the time.
    Any price suggestions?
    Thanks as allways,
    matt

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would have to agree with snow too and a pintle will tow more weight but you will feel the jerkiness of the trailer.A 550 is nice for the size on small jobs and the 4x4 option but fot the same $$ you could go with a much heavier truck with out 4x4 and go with the 650.you can go to ford web site and price out both .

15. matthew Urban

Thank you all,

At this point I guess my questions as an employee are:

what would you look for if you were me? Conversely: if you were the boss?

And as far as snow work goes with the trucks above and maybe a new one( F-whatever), do you think a moderate plow route would be beneficial/profitable (annual avg 75"/year) to our company?

I am just looking to expand our company's service base & profitability.
    again,
    thanks for the insight
    matt

Last edited: Jan 14, 2002
  16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well for plowing If you are doing big lots or road go with the 650 put a big v box in back for your sanding.Then you will have the extra payload and towing capacity.If you need 4x4 and will do smaller lots or real hilly areas go the 550 will still have a good size sander on back and tow a good size bobcat or minni excavator.Get diesel in both with automatic transmistion.Thats what i would do if I was basing it around plowing but a 650 is really not mutch bigger than the 550 Size wise not like comparing it to a mack.

17. matthew Urban

cat320,
    what did you get this weekend?
    my dad is in melrose. I'm just curious.

matt

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

we got about 3" of real wet stuff.just a big pain in the rear to clean up but good for sanding later when it froze.

19. matthew Urban

you did better than me,
    this last storm brought a total of 3/4".
    not gonna get rich this year:)
    Ever been out this way?
    matt

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

last year was out at Hatfield