1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing equipment on trailer to accounts?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Emstaxi, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I have several commercial and several residential accounts, enough to keep me busy. My dilema is that I have a tahoe with a salt spreader on the back, and have been using one of those hitch cargo carriers to haul the blower. Well, my problem is I have destroyed 3 snowblowers in the last two years from them over hanging of the carrier and hitting the ground. Im looking to get a truck within the next 2 months but in the mean time i was considering towing a trailer around as I plowed.

Does anyone trailer their equipment during storms and if so, how does it work out? Does the trailer slide all over the place? My thought on it is that I could put a plow on my tractor and use that for sidewalks of commercial property, carry the snowblower, extra salt, and anything else that would get me through a day or night of plowing.

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

seems like it would take a lot of time to load/ unload and unhook and hook up the trailer at each account

3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Towing a trailer in a snow storm sucks...

4. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I've done it for snowblowers & salt for a shovel crew, but wouldn't mess with it if I had to plow or salt with the same truck.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Yes it does. I did it last year in the blizzard we had. I got stuck 1 time due to the trailer. It's hard to back up with dead weight behind you. It jacks the truck faster then you can imagine.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

before i had a plow on the truck i use to trailer my 92 honda 300 4x4 with 4ft blade.

like said sucked backin up .

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you can do it...but I sure wouldnt

8. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Get one of the big hitch carriers with a ramp. Should be easy on and off and stay on if strapped.

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i've hauled 14' tandum 5'er, loaded to the hills with a 2wd truck, in over a foot of snow...... it can be done. personally, i hate loading/unloading more then towing in the snow

10. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I pull a skid around every storm. No problems yet, I keep it slow and steady amd keep plenty of breaking room. I also see alot of others pulling skids around during storms.

11. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Cake. Practice while its dry. A snowstorm shouldnt be the first place you attempt your new trailer and truck WITH equipment. Take it slow; leave extra room; turn down the brakes on the trailer.

12. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

Like what other said, IT sucks, I done it many times, but now I don't want to use my bobcat every where, because I got a plow on my truck.

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I pull my Skid in every storm and never have any problems, but I would NOT want to hook/unhook to plow/salt at numirous accounts. I do not plow with the truck that pulls the skid so my trailer stays hooked up all storm and the skid usually only gets loaded/unloaded 2-3 times.
    Robert

14. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Robert-

Do you have a tag trailer or a goose neck?

Do you have any pictures of your rig with the SS on it?

I'm in the process of looking to buy a CAT 257 or 259 and will probabaly need to get another trailer to haul it around and I'm looking for ideas...

15. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Keep it as short and as low to the ground as possible. A standard-pull trailer typically will sit a bit lower to the ground than a gooseneck, but any deckover is going to be over the tires at any rate. And, more rubber on the ground will serve you well. A mini-low-boy would be optimal.

Good example of an economical dual-tandem...
    [​IMG]

16. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I would suggest the widest, lowest, shortest gooseneck/5th you can afford/get to haul with.

Even then, you probably want to have whatever truck is towing it have 4wd. I guess worst comes to worst, you unload the cat and move your trailer/truck if you get stuck :mechanic:

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We used to tow our ATV on a 16 flatbed (trailer we had avaiable). I was horrible, in addition the atv was always covered in slush. I would look for a larger hich mounted unit. We currently no longer use the atv as we lost the long straight walks we did. The sidewalk crew now has a box truck (8x14 I believe) & we could configure it to accomadate the atv inside if we needed it again.

18. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I have a 01 Chevy Tahoe and would use a 5x8 utility trailer to haul a 2 stage blower 5hp 21 in cut, and extra salt. My thinking was put a plow on my lawn tractor and use that for the sidewalks of my commercial props. Most if not all resi's would not accomodate the tractor, so those would get the blower/shovel treatment. I have one of those dual hitch receivershttp://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._492929_492929 so I normally mount the salt spreader in the upper receiver and the carrier http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7467_200337467 (similar to this but non folding) for the snowblower in the bottom. Im using a meyers 36600 (old square spreaders) for salt applications. I already know that the trailer coupler will fit with the spreader on, im just gathering thoughts on wheather its feasible or not. In the long run I know the best answer would be to try it maybe during a smaller storm. any more thoughts?

19. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I have a 01 Chevy Tahoe and would use a 5x8 utility trailer to haul a 2 stage blower 5hp 21 in cut, and extra salt. My thinking was put a plow on my lawn tractor and use that for the sidewalks of my commercial props. Most if not all resi's would not accomodate the tractor, so those would get the blower/shovel treatment. I have one of those dual hitch receivers http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._492929_492929so I normally mount the salt spreader in the upper receiver and the carrier http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7467_200337467 (similar to this but non folding) for the snowblower in the bottom. Im using a meyers 36600 (old square spreaders) for salt applications. I already know that the trailer coupler will fit with the spreader on, im just gathering thoughts on wheather its feasible or not. In the long run I know the best answer would be to try it maybe during a smaller storm. any more thoughts?

20. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

I have a 14K gooseneck dump trailer that I haul my CAT 252 on if I don't want to hook up my Mack and 20 ton tag.

The problem is two fold: 1. the dump trailer is just too high and backing up the ramps is a PITA in the best of times. 2. the track SS will be too wide.

So I'm looking for a14K lowboy gooseneck if I can find one at a decent price sort of like this one...

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...quipment/-20Ft,-14,000-lb.-Gooseneck-p17.html

BTW, I'll be hauling it with my F-350

Comments?